Super cute bug craft for kids! We love these cute little painted stone creatures. Easy to make and fun to play with or use to decorate a mini vegetable patch.
What you need for our bug craft – painted pebble creatures
- selection of different shaped pebbles.
- coloured felt tip pens – we like Sharpies as the colours look bright
- clear varnish if you want to protect your painted pebble art from the rain
How to make our cute bug craft – painted pebble creatures
It’s super simple – just look through the pebbles and work out with the kids which creatures they think they might look like. Then get creative with the colouring pens!
- Spider – draw a black spider with cute little face and long legs
- Ladybird – colour the body red with black spots, give her a face and long eyelashes…
- Bumble Bee – black and yellow striped body with a face and antenna
- Mouse – pink nose, pink ears and whiskers should cover it
- Hedgehog – draw on the brown prickles and a cheeky face
- Caterpillar – choose a long stone – draw on green circles for the body and a lot of legs
Once the Sharpie ink is dry, you can give the stones a coat of clear varnish to protect your design from the rainy weather.
We used our stone painted garden creatures to decorate our box of lettuce leaves which the kids had planted up.
More nature crafts for kids
- Natural bird feeder – kids love to make this natural bird feeder – scoop out the squash seeds and thread with string to hang from the trees. Fill the squash with bird seeds.
- Leaf Hedgehogs – oh my goodness, this is just the cutest little craft. Help children to collect autumn leaves and create these super sweet little hedgehogs.
- Pine Cone Mouse – you could create a whole little family of mice using this sweet little nature craft.
- Selection of pebbles
- Selection of Sharpies colouring pens
- Clear varnish if you're varnishing your finished creations
- Paint brush for the varnish
- Firstly wash the pebbles to remove any dirt.
- Dry the pebbles well.
- Sort through the pebbles and work out which pebble would be good for which stone creature.
- Decorate the pebbles using the colouring pens
- Then if you like varnish them to protect your design
Save our pebble bug craft on Pinterest for later!