Pasta with chickpeas and pesto is quick, easy, low cost and delicious. Ideal for a busy weeknight when you want dinner ready fast.
You can make this dish with fresh pesto or jarred it’s entirely up to you how much time and effort you want to put in. It tastes good made either way.
Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add a swirl of olive oil and tip in the pasta, bring back to the boil and then simmer with the lid off for around 10-12 minutes depending on which pasta you’re using.
For the last 3 minutes of cooking time tip in a can of chickpeas to warm them through. Once the pasta is cooked and drained stir in a few tablespoons of pesto and top with a scattering of Parmesan.
This is nice served with a tomato salad – sliced tomatoes drizzled with Balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a scattering of sea salt and black pepper. Nothing too time consuming.
Tasty food, simple and fast.
Real food, real fast.
- 400g pasta - choose a short pasta
- 400g can of chickpeas
- 4 tbs pesto
- olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add a swirl of olive oil, tip in the pasta, bring the pan back to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 - 12 minutes. Stir the pasta every few minutes to stop it from sticking.
- For the last 3 minutes of cooking time - tip in a can of drained chickpeas.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the warm pan, stir in the pesto and then divide between the four dishes.
- Scatter with Parmesan and serve.
Make pasta and chickpeas your way
- switch the chickpeas for borlotti beans or even frozen peas.
- try out different flavours of pesto – this works well with sun dried tomato pesto.
- leftovers can be packed into containers for packed lunch the next day.