I adore pea and cheese salad – the combination of sweet peas with the a salty cheese is perfect. I like to make this when I’m eating alone as it’s just so quick and vibrant. This is a really adaptable recipe and I swap and change the ingredients depending on what I have in the fridge.
Firstly you need some lettuce, it could be a handful of shredded cos, or lovely flat leaf lettuce or even just a couple of handfuls of baby leaf salad grabbed from a bag of ready to eat salad.
The you need to scatter the leaves with cooked and chilled peas – they literally take 2 minutes to ping in the microwave and a quick run under the cold tap. Easy and a great little source of protein.
Next you need cheese – I like a salty cheese. I’m happy to make this with a nice regional cheese like Crumbly Lancashire or Wensleydale or a few cubes of feta from a jar or even Parmesan shavings.
Then you need the little extras, I opt for capers as I adore them, and a few artichoke heart slices.
Whip up a simple dressing of lemon juice, olive oil and wholegrain mustard and drizzle it over.
That’s it. A super quick salad meal in literally minutes. If you want to make this more substantial add some lovely crusty bread.
Super quick and healthy meal for one
- Couple of handfuls of salad leaves - cos, baby leaf salad or spinach
- Large handful of cooked cold peas
- Small handful of cheese - Feta, Wensleydale, Crumbly Lancashire cubes or Parmesan shavings
- 4 artichoke heart slices
- 1 heaped tsp capers
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp whole grain mustard
- pinch of sea salt
- Arrange the lettuce onto a plate.
- Scatter over the peas.
- Scatter over the cheese cubes.
- Sprinkle over the capers.
- Top with the sliced artichoke hearts.
- Mix up a little salad dressing - mix together the olive oil, lemon juice and mustard add a pinch of salt.
- Pout the dressing over the salad.
If you want to make it a little more substantial add a crusty bread roll.
Make Pea and Cheese Salad your way
- Add a little spice with some freshly chopped jalapeño.
- Fancy some meat, add some grilled bacon slices.
How to serve Pea and Cheese Salad
- Perfect as a quick lunch or one.
- Add a side of crusty bread and glass on wine for a simple midweek dinner.
- Pack into lunch boxes.
Get more cheesy recipes here
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Get all our delicious vegetarian recipes here