Want a super easy – yet totally delicious autumn salad recipe? Then say hello to our yummy pear and blue cheese salad – perfect light lunch or dinner recipe that’s effortless to make!
In amongst the warming comfort food, stews, pies and puddings that autumn brings, I do still like to throw a few salads into the mix.
But autumn salads need to be big, bold flavours that create a rich (but still light) tasty meal. And… there needs to be croutons!
I use Stilton to make the pear and blue cheese salad recipe. Stilton is a traditional English cheese, made with a Penicillium Roqueforti which gives it that classic strong and unmistakable tangy smell and taste.
Pear, Stilton and walnut salad recipe is one of my favourite quick Autumn dinners.
Does Stilton go in salad?
Mmmm believe me – Stilton and blue cheese in general goes so perfectly in salad but hey I know it’s a strong big flavour cheese so balancing it with the sweetness of pears and the bitter savoury tang of walnuts works super well in our Pear, Stilton and Walnut Salad Recipe.
Pear and blue cheese salad ingredients
- 100g rocket leaves – you can swap the rocket for any other salad leaves you like, chicory is a good salad leaf to use with blue cheese it works well.
- 2 pears – choose ripe, juicy pears, remove the core and slice them into wedges.
- 80g Stilton cheese – crumbled into pieces
- 50g walnut halves
- 100g croutons – you can buy ready made if you’re short on time or you can make your own (instructions below) and of course feel free to add in more or less to suit your own tastes.
- 1 tbs olive oil
How to make pear and blue cheese salad
We’re literally throwing this pear salad together here – it’s like zero effort in return for BIG, robust delicious flavour.
Grab a platter and scatter over your salad leaves, top with sliced ripe pear, crumble over some Stilton and toss over some lovely walnuts.
I like to add a little extra crunch with a packet on mini bruschetta used as croutons and I add a little drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt.
To make our super tasty pear salad recipe, we’re talking like 5 minutes hands on work here so it’s great for when you really can’t be bothered but still want to eat nice food!
Get more fruit ideas and fresh fruit recipes here
Pear salad with added extras!
Fancy making more of your pear walnut salad? Then personalise it and add in some extras or switch around the ingredients to suit your own tastes.
We kinda like….
- adding in some crispy smoked bacon, the salty tang from the bacon works so well with the sweetness of the pears and bitterness of the walnuts. And when you add the bacon still warm the blue cheese starts to melt deliciously onto it.
- switch the rocket for baby spinach or those packs of bistro salad leaves
- don’t like walnuts – throw on some toasted pine nuts instead
- If blue cheese salad isn’t for you then switch the blue cheese for a crumbling of feta cheese instead and make pear and walnut salad with feta.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Roasted Pear and Blue Cheese Salad
If you like your autumn salads warm then you could make a warm pear and Stilton salad just roast your pear wedges in the oven for around 15-20 minutes.
Alternatively make caramelised pear and blue cheese salad by cooking the pears in a frying pan, just fry the pear slices in butter with just a little drizzle of honey to makes sure they caramelise and turn absolutely delicious.
How to make your own homemade salad croutons
If you don’t like to buy ready made croutons then make a batch of your own. Homemade croutons are just so delicious and super easy!
You’ll just need…
- couple of slices of bread – dry bread you’re probably ready for throwing out is good for this!
- a good glug of olive oil
- sea salt, cracked black pepper and a pinch of oregano
How to make the homemade croutons…
- Use a non-stick frying pan – this will reduce the amount of oil you need to use
- Add a good splash of olive oil and turn the heat up high
- Cut the bread into cubes – you can use the crusts too if you like.
- Tip the bread into the pan – sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano and briskly fry until browned.
- Remove from the pan onto a piece of kitchen paper towel to soak off any excess oil.
- Leave to cool (or not it’s up to you) and throw them in your salad.
Seriously… you’ll struggle to leave these alone once cooked! They’re so moreish!
How to serve pear and walnut salad with blue cheese
- Our pear and stilton salad is just delicious with a glass of wine as an easy lunch or dinner.
- You could serve the salad between four as a pear and stilton starter recipe.
- You could also pack this into lunch boxes and take as a picnic or packed lunch.
Get loads of lunch recipes and ideas here
Ways to use up leftover Stilton
Our pear and stilton salad is a great way to use up any leftover bits of Stilton especially when it’s Christmas and life is all about the cheese!
Other than throwing it in salad you can use up leftover Stilton is loads of ways.
- make amazing Stilton toasted sandwiches, make these taste extra gorgeous by adding in cranberry sauce.
- stir Stilton through freshly cooked gnocchi with pan fried mushrooms
- make a really cheesy sauce with Cheddar and Stilton and pour over cauliflower – brown under the grill
Get more cheesy recipes here
More delicious salad recipes to try
- Waldorf Salad – delicious, classic salad recipe that’s simple to make and tastes so good!
- Apple, Walnut and Cheddar Salad – gorgeous, fruity salad with tasty chunks of Cheddar cheese and tangy walnuts.
- Greek Potato Salad – all the flavours of a Greek salad tossed in amongst tender, baby new potatoes.
Get more quick and easy meals here
- 100g rocket leaves
- 2 pears - remove the core and sliced
- 80g Stilton cheese - crumbled
- 50g walnuts
- 100g salad croutons
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- Scatter the rocket leaves onto the plate.
- Top with sliced pear.
- Crumble over the Stilton cheese.
- Scatter over the walnuts.
- Add the mini bruschetta or croutons.
- Add a light drizzle of olive oil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 557mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 9gSugar: 20gProtein: 15g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our super tasty Pear and Blue Cheese Salad recipe to Pinterest for later!
Get lots of fresh and healthy salad recipes here
Need some meal inspiration? Head over to our meal planning guide here!
Get all our delicious vegetarian recipes here
NEED SOME FAMILY MEAL IDEAS?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planner tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!