Pesto chicken breast wrapped in bacon makes a delicious quick meal idea. This easy family recipe is ready in around 30 minutes so it’s a good weeknight meal or easy summery alternative to a Sunday roast.
Pesto chicken is always a popular choice with the kids and I love that with this meal I can make up the Greek salad and couscous in advance and just keep them in the fridge until ready to serve. You can even stuff the chicken breasts and wrap them with bacon in the morning and leave them in the fridge until ready to cook.
I use Sacla classic basil pesto in this recipe but you can always mix things up and try different flavours to suit your own taste. Simply slit the chicken breast and fill the gap with a tablespoon of pesto then wrap a slice of bacon tightly around the chicken breast to hold everything together. Fit the chicken breasts snugly together in a roasting tray to stop them unravelling.
Greek salad is super simple to make and leftovers are fab served in mini pots in lunchboxes. To make the Greek salad I simply toss chunkily chopped cucumber and tomatoes with finely sliced red onion, cubes of feta and a handful of black olives – drizzle with olive oil and season with a teaspoon of dried or fresh oregano. Simple and super tasty.
I cheat with the couscous salad. Couscous in my opinion needs the addition of lots of herbs, spices and vegetables to flavour it up and often works out expensive to do. I simply use the flavoured ready to cook couscous sachets for this recipe the Ainsley Harriott couscous sachets are ideal for this or you can often find supermarket own brand versions which work just as well. I cook as per the instructions and then stir through a tin of chickpeas to sneak in some extra vegetables.
A lovely easy family meal perfect for summer.
A delicious summer recipe ideal for busy families.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices of streaky back bacon
- 4 tbs basil pesto
- 1/2 a cucumber - chunkily sliced
- 4 tomatoes - sliced into wedges
- large handful of black olives
- 1/2 red onion - sliced into thin half moons
- 200g feta cheese cut into cubes
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 sachets of ready to cook flavoured couscous
- 1 tin chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Make a slit in the chicken breasts with a sharp knife.
- Stuff the slit with a tbs pesto
- Wrap the bacon around the chicken breast to hold everything together - place in a roasting tray - cover lightly with foil.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes with the foil on then remove the foil and cook for a further 15 minutes. Check your chicken is thoroughly cooked with no pink remaining - if not return to the oven to cook for longer.
- Lightly toss together the cucumber, tomatoes, olives, red onions and feta cheese.
- Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil.
- Season with a scattering of dried oregano.
- Cook as per the packet instructions it usually takes no longer than 5 minutes.
- If eating straight away stir through the chickpeas and serve.
- If not eating straight away cool the couscous then stir through the chickpeas and store in the fridge.
To serve simply add a spoonful of couscous, a stuffed chicken breast and a good handful of salad to the plate. - Enjoy!
This entire meal is also delicious served cold so you could make the entire thing ahead and just eat chilled from the fridge.
Lovely real family food – hope you enjoy!