A simple plum compote recipe that you can serve with Greek yogurt as a tasty breakfast idea.
Plum Compote Recipe
Whipping up a batch of your own fruit compote is simple and makes a tasty light breakfast or healthy dessert.
Making the compote yourself means it’s free from artificial additives and you can control how much sugar you add (if any).
To make our easy plum compote you’ll need 6-8 large plums, choose ones that are very ripe and squashy they taste the sweetest – cut the plums in half, remove the stone and chop into bite size pieces. Put a saucepan over a low heat and add a knob of unsalted butter, once the butter is melted tip in the chopped plums and stir them into the butter.
Add a tsp of ground cinnamon and the tiniest squeeze of honey. Then pour in enough boiling water to just cover the base of the pan. Leave the plums to simmer with the lid on for around 10 – 15 minutes until totally soft.
You can either leave the compote chunky or you can tip it into the food processor and blitz to a thick puree. Delicious drizzled over Greek yogurt, stirred into porridge or drizzled over French toast.
Plum Compote No Sugar Recipe
To make our plum compote with no added sugar just skip the drizzle of honey.
Delicious homemade plum compote flavoured with cinnamon.
- 6-8 large ripe plums - stone removed and chopped into bite size pieces
- knob of unsalted butter
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- small drizzle of honey
- Put a saucepan over a low heat and add a knob on unsalted butter. When the butter has melted tip in the plums and stir.
- Add a tsp of ground cinnamon and a tiny drizzle of honey then pour in just enough water to cover the base of the saucepan.
- Simmer the plums with the lid on for around 10 - 15 minutes until soft.
- Either use the compote chunky as it is or blitz for a minute in a food processor to a thick puree.
Make cinnamon plum compote your way
- Flavour the plums with vanilla or ginger instead of cinnamon
- Throw in some apples and make apple & plum compote
- Great for using up over ripe summer fruit