Quick and easy porridge topping ideas to liven up your breakfast bowl deliciously!
One of the quickest healthiest breakfasts you can throw together is a bowlful of lovely creamy porridge. It a really delicious family breakfast idea.
You can either do it the proper way in a pan and simmer and stir, you can make it in minutes in the microwave or you can go instant with a dish of Ready brek.
Whichever way you choose it’s always nice to add some porridge toppings, just to liven things up a little.
Good porridge toppings to throw in your bowl of oats
Try these delicious fruit ideas below to top your porridge
- Blueberries with maple syrup – keep things quick and easy add a porridge topping of delicious plump blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Strawberries and vanilla bean paste – you’ll just need the tiniest bit of vanilla bean paste to flavour a bowlful of porridge, literally the tip of a teaspoon will be enough. Then stir it through and scatter on juicy strawberry slices.
- Plum compote – simmer up some plum compote flavoured with warming cinnamon and spoon onto the top of your bowl of porridge. Get our simple homemade plum compote recipe here
- Chocolate spread – a spoonful of chocolate spread stirred through warm porridge to create chocolate porridge is delicious and is always a big hit with the kids!
Crunchy Porridge Toppings
- Chopped nuts and maple syrup – sprinkle over a handful of chopped nuts – I like to use a mix of hazelnuts and pecans with just a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Sugar sprinkles – if the kids fancy something a little fun – try adding some sugar sprinkles or even edible glitter to the top the porridge.
- Brown sugar – sometimes I just love to top my porridge with a sprinkling of brown sugar, it melts into the surface, adds just a little crunch and tastes delicious.
- Grated dark chocolate – a simple grating of dark chocolate over a bowl of porridge made using cream is just so indulgent and delicious. One of my favourite ways to top porridge.
- Banana and golden syrup – a classic easy porridge topping idea, golden syrup just makes porridge taste so good and works super well with sliced bananas.
Porridge Toppings with Peanut Butter
- Peanut butter with bananas and chocolate – warm up some creamy peanut butter and drizzle it over your porridge, add some sliced bananas and a sprinkling of dark chocolate chips. Too good!
- Greek yogurt and drizzle of honey – for a simple porridge topping just add a spoonful of thick creamy Greek yogurt and drizzle over some honey, you could add nuts here too, that would be a good thing.
- Banana and honey – keep things simple with this porridge topping, just add sliced bananas and a drizzle of honey.
Get more fruit ideas and fresh fruit recipes here
Get more easy breakfast recipes here
How do you add flavour to porridge?
- Butter fried apples with cinnamon – for this porridge topping the warm apples are just perfect. Peel and slice an apple, fry it in a little butter until it’s hot and softening, sprinkle over a little ground cinnamon. Then spoon the fruit over the porridge and stir.
- Stewed fruit – just mix up any combination of stewed fruit you like, add it warm or cold to your porridge, stir and tuck in.
- Fresh pears and ground flax seed – choose a nice ripe pear for this porridge topping. Slice it over your porridge, sprinkle over a pinch of ground flax seeds and eat.
- Banana and coconut – for a creamy, tropical twist make up your porridge with coconut milk, add sliced bananas and then sprinkle over some desiccated coconut.
- Tropical dried fruit – add a handful of tropical dried fruit, such a simple porridge topping.
- Peaches and cream – sliced juicy peaches and double cream are super tasty on top of porridge or overnight oats, just delicious!
- Cinnamon and raisins – an easy way to add extra flavour to porridge, just top with a handful of raisins and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon. Stir and eat.
Get more quick and easy recipes for kids here.
Can you add jam to porridge?
- Raspberry jam – adding a spoonful of raspberry jam is definitely a childhood favourite of mine. Delicious, easy and tastes good.
Get lots more delicious, healthy kid friendly recipes here
NEED SOME FAMILY DINNER RECIPES INSPIRATION?
Check out our meal planning guide here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
Save our delicious porridge topping ideas to Pinterest for later