Potato Salad is a summer favourite – delicious served as a side dish as BBQs and picnics. Our healthy take on Potato Salad cuts out the heavy cream and mayonnaise and is dressed with fresh and fruity herby olive oil – so good!
How to make the best potato salad
I think the absolute best and tastiest potato salad is made with local new potatoes – the fresher the better. I cut them into bitesized chunks so that they literally take just 5-6 minutes to boil and keep the skins on for added flavour and colour.
I like to add in some more colour and flavour by adding sliced radishes and lots of herbs.
And I prefer to lighten up the dressing and steer clear of creamy versions just because it’s healthier and tastes much fresher and lighter.
How to make non-creamy potato salad dressing
It’s super simple – just take a good swig of a nice fruity olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar, couple of teaspoons of Dijon mustard and season well with sea salt flakes and black pepper – whisk really well.
How to make vegan potato salad?
Well our delicious potato salad with radishes and herbs is naturally vegan.
Do the potatoes for potato salad have to be cool before adding the dressing?
When dressing potato salad with a vinaigrette dressing you don’t need to let the potatoes cool completely – I wait until they’re cool enough to handle and then toss through the other ingredients and add the dressing – then scatter over a platter ready to serve.
If you’re using a more traditional mayonnaise or cream based dressing then let them cool completely before dressing.
Totally delicious herby potato salad
- 1.5kg new potatoes - well scrubbed to remove all the dirt
- bunch of radishes - washed and sliced
- 3 sticks of celery - scrubbed and sliced
- 4 spring onions - peeled and sliced
- bunch of basil - chopped
- bunch of flat leaf parsley - chopped
- small bunch of fennel or dill - chopped
- handful of chives - chopped
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and black pepper
- Chop the potatoes into bitesized pieces and boil in salted water until fork tender.
- Drain and allow to cool down.
- Make up the dressing - whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard and season.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl and pour over some of the dressing - toss well to coat everything - then add in the herbs (save some for garnish) and other potato salad vegetables and toss everything together with the remainder of the salad dressing.
- Tip the potatoes onto a serving platter and scatter over the remaining herbs as garnish.
How long can I keep potato salad in the fridge?
For the salad to be fresh and tasty I recommend keeping for no longer than 1-2 days.