Everybody LOVES these tray bake potato scallops with bacon and cheese – super easy to cook and delicious to eat with BBQ food, chicken or salads – total comfort food!
We’re talking ultimate comfort food here, these scalloped potatoes with bacon and cheese hit the spot every time. Awesome alongside sticky BBQ chicken and eaten outdoors on a warm evening in the garden or snuggled up indoors under a blanket for movie night. You need these potatoes in your life!
How to make potato scallops
Potato scallops couldn’t be easier to make, you’ll just need 4 ingredients and 20 minutes. Spread the thinly sliced potatoes in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes, flip them and return to the oven for another 8-10 minutes.
Whilst the potatoes cook, quickly grill or fry the bacon and then snip into ‘bacon bits’ with kitchen scissors.
Next scatter the bacon bits and grated cheese over the potatoes and put them back into the oven to melt. That’s it! Just serve with sour cream dip or fresh salsa.
Ultimate comfort food
- 2 kg desiree potatoes - thinly sliced
- 200g grated cheese - Cheddar or Monterey Jack
- 8 rashers maple smoked bacon
- olive oil
- Heat the oven to 200C and lightly oil the baking sheets with olive oil.
- Spread the thinly sliced potatoes in one layer onto the sheet.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes - then remove from the oven and flip them over. Return to the oven and cook for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Whilst the potatoes cook you can grill the bacon and snip it into bacon bits using kitchen scissors.
- Remove the cooked potatoes from the oven and scatter over the bacon and grated cheese - put the potatoes back into the oven until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with sour cream dip and salsa.
Do potato scallops need to have batter on them?
No way – we prefer these batter free potato scallops – they’re lighter and quicker to make – totally yummy!
How to make potato scallops your way
- add spice with freshly sliced red chillies
- go vegetarian and skip the bacon and add two different types of cheese instead
- lower the carbs and use sweet potato scallops.
More potato side dish recipes for you to try