Mmmmm our pumpkin pasties are warming, delicious and oh so easy to make – you could even make them with the pumpkin flesh carved from the pumpkins!
Tasty Halloween Treats
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 500g pumpkin or squash flesh
- knob of butter
- 2 handfuls of grated cheese - I use cheddar
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- sliced black olives - for eyes
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Boil the pumpkin flesh in salted water until soft - drain, add a knob of butter and mash with a potato masher.
- Season with black pepper and more salt (if required) and add the cheese - stir to mix everything together - leave on one side to cool.
- Meanwhile - lay out your puff pastry and cut into 6 rectangles and leave a long strip of pastry for cutting into strips (these will be the mummy bandages)
- Add a spoonful of pumpkin mixture to the rectangles - smooth into a sausage like shape - wrap the edges of the pastry up around the sides of the pumpkin mixture. Then add strips of pastry bandages around it in a criss cross pattern - add two olive slices for eyes.
- Brush with beaten egg - place on a greased baking tray and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until pastry browns and filling is piping hot throughout.
Make Pastry Mummies Your Way
- You could stretch this recipe to make more than 6 mummies if you do them smaller or thinner.
- Don’t fancy pumpkin – try it with mashed potato mixed with cheese instead.
- Add some extra flavour – stir through some curry paste or pesto.
How to serve Pumpkin Mummies
- Delicious as part of Halloween dinner or tea party.
You might also just LOVE our Halloween Freak Shakes too!