Looking for a super quick and easy chilli con carne recipe? Our quick chilli takes just 30 minutes from start to finish making it perfect for weeknight dinner. Tasty, flavourful and just a super simple family meal.
Chilli Con Carne is one of those dinners that kids just LOVE and so it’s great for weeknight dinner.
Our quick recipe for chilli made with baked beans is ready in just 30 minutes so it’s easy to throw together even on busy days.
Baked beans with ground beef is just one of those food combinations that works oh so well!
The great thing about chilli con carne is that once everything is in the pan, it just takes care of itself – so frees you up to help out with the kids homework or whatever.
How to make quick beef chilli?
We’ve give you the basic quick chilli con carne recipe – but feel free to mix things up – add more spice, more veggies, serve it in different ways. Just do what suits you!
Chilli con carne is also a great recipe for using up any odds and ends of veggies you have lying about in the fridge – just chop them up and throw them in.
Ingredients for quick chilli con carne with baked beans
- 1 tbs olive oil – you can use rapeseed oil or sunflower oil if you prefer.
- 1 red onion – just choose a medium sized onion and finely dice it.
- 1 red pepper – choose a red or orange pepper, rather than green as they have a sweeter taste. Simply dice the pepper into bitesized pieces.
- 1 tsp Lazy Garlic – I usually keep a jar of lazy garlic in the fridge, it’s just so handy. However you could just use 2 cloves garlic – grated instead. Or even use dried garlic granules.
- 1 tsp Lazy Chillies – again jars of lazy chilli are really handy, I use them in casseroles, curries and stews. But you can just use 1 fresh chilli – finely sliced instead.
- 400g lean beef mince – be sure to choose lean beef mince the lower fat the better. If possible choose grass-fed.
- 400g tin BBQ baked beans – I use Heinz BBQ beans for my quick chilli recipe.
- 1 tsp ground cumin – cumin just gives the chilli a nice earthy, warm flavour.
- sea salt and black pepper – to taste
How to make quick chilli con carne with baked beans
Firstly prepare the vegetables and gather together your ingredients so cooking is quicker and easier.
- Peel and dice the red onion
- Dice the red pepper
- If you’re using fresh garlic and chilli instead of the lazy jarred variety – then peel the garlic and grate and finely slice the chilli (remove the seeds if you prefer it not to be too spicy)
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet pan or big saucepan and sauté the onions, peppers and garlic – just for a minute or two.
- Add the chillies and sauté for a minute.
- Tip the ground beef into the pan and break it up using a spoon so it cooks more evenly.
- Brown the minced beef over a medium heat – it should only take a few minutes – keep stirring the pan so it browns evenly.
- Tip in the BBQ baked beans and mix into the minced beef and vegetables.
- Add the ground cumin
- Season with salt and ground black pepper – remember the canned baked beans will have salt in so you may not need to add as much salt as usual.
- Mix the ground cumin, salt and pepper into the chilli con carne and then bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook with the lid on for around 20 minutes – or until the beef is cooked through properly.
- Check the chilli con carne after about 10 minutes – if it looks a little on the dry side add a splash of boiling water.
- Once the quick chilli con carne is cooked – sprinkle over some chopped coriander and serve.
What extra vegetables can I put in a chilli?
If you need the chilli con carne to feed more people or last for two dinners instead of the one then you can add in any of the following veggies to bulk up your chilli con carne and it’ll still tasty great!
- More diced peppers
- Diced courgettes
- Grated carrots or beetroot – these will just cook into the sauce, the kids won’t notice they’re in there!
- Add in an extra can of baked beans or try kidney beans or black beans
- Throw in a can of tinned tomatoes
- Add sliced mushrooms.
- Add in a can of sweetcorn
How to make chilli feed more people
If you need your chilli to feed a crowd but don’t want to spend too much extra money then you could try…
- Bulking up with the extra veggies listed above
- Make more side dishes – rice, wedges, mashed potatoes, wraps, cheesy nachos all work well.
Can I make chilli con carne with turkey mince?
You totally can make your chilli con carne with turkey mince – but, remember it’s not as flavoursome so you’ll probably need to add in extra seasoning and spices.
Loads more delicious, easy beef recipes right here.
What side dishes go with a chilli?
- Add a side salad and a quick freshly made guacamole – it’s super quick to make homemade guacamole and tastes so good!
- Serve alongside nachos, wedges or boiled rice.
- Load into oven baked potatoes and top with soured cream and grated cheese.
- Load into soft flour wraps with grated cheese, soured cream and lots of fresh crunchy salad.
Can I make chilli con carne in the slow cooker?
Yes – you can cook our chilli con carne with baked beans in the slow cooker. Just cook on low for around 8 hours.
You may need to thicken the sauce, you can do this using a couple of tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste using cold water, then stir through the chilli and simmer to thicken.
How to make spicy chilli recipe
You can add a spicy twist to our baked bean chilli – add in a couple of squirts of hot chilli sauce or a big pinch of dried red chilli flakes.
More quick family dinner recipes for you to make
- Spaghetti Margarita – a super fast 15 minute dinner recipe with all the flavours of a margarita pizza but in a pasta dish. Fresh, healthy and delicious!
- Moroccan Chicken Wraps – 30 minute dinner recipe – delicious fragrantly spiced chicken served with fresh salads and soft flour wraps.
- Sweet Chilli Chicken Wraps and Fries – 30 minute dinner recipe – kids LOVE this recipe – sweet, spicy chicken with salad in a soft flour wrap with a side of Chinese style fries. SO GOOD!
NEED SOME FAMILY DINNER RECIPES INSPIRATION?
Check out our meal planning guide here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 400g lean beef mince
- 400g tin BBQ baked beans
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- Add a drizzle of olive oil the the skillet pan and gently fry the onions, garlic and peppers for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chillies and mix in.
- Add the beef mince and brown over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Tip in the baked beans, ground cumin and salt and pepper.
- Add a splash of water if you think it looks a little dry.
- Bring the chilli con carne to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 25 minutes or until the beef is cooked through properly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 957mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 44g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our tasty weeknight dinner recipe to Pinterest for later!
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Get more easy ground beef recipes here
Get lots more delicious, healthy kid friendly recipes here
Browse all our meat recipes here
Get more really delicious easy minced beef recipes here
Get more quick and easy meals here