It’s easy to take something simple add a little twist and turn it into a gourmet treat. Just five ingredients are needed to make this simple meal, perfect for lunch or as a quick and easy midweek meal maybe with a little side salad of simple watercress tossed with lemon juice or a little mound of freshly made coleslaw.
To make it special put a little thought into your ingredients – choose a nice bread, a good quality granary, seeded loaf or tasty sourdough. I’ve used wholemeal with pumpkin seeds. The cheese is Y-Fenni which is a Welsh cheese a delicious blend of cheddar with mustard seed and real ale. You could also use a mature cheddar or a nice Wensleydale with cranberries.
Deliciously quick and great for sharing.
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 large handfuls of mushrooms - sliced
- 2 large handfuls of grated cheese
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley
- Add a small knob of butter to a frying pan and quickly fry the mushrooms.
- Whilst they cook heat the grill to high - toast the bread on one side, then remove from the grill and butter the none toasted side.
- Top the buttered side of toast with the hot mushrooms and scatter over the grated cheese.
- Return to the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and browning.
- Scatter with finely chopped flat leaf parsley.
Make cheesy mushroom toast your way
- Don’t like mushrooms try finely sliced courgettes or peppers.
- Want some meat – add some crispy bacon
- Don’t fancy bread – use a tortilla or seeded wrap.