Tomato and aubergine stew is a quick and easy vegetarian midweek dinner you’ll just love. It’s packed with flavour, super easy to throw together and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
Really easy and quick vegetarian stew
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 small onion - sliced
- 1 clove of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 red pointed pepper - sliced
- 1 aubergine - chopped into bitesize pieces
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- pinch of chilli flakes
- handful of chopped coriander
- Add a splash of olive oil to saucepan and throw in the onions and a little pinch of salt. Cook over a medium heat for around 5 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add the garlic, cumin, coriander and cinnamon and stir to coat the onions in spices.
- Tip in the red pepper, aubergine chunks and add the tin of tomatoes and sugar.
- Season with a little more salt if you like. Add the pinch of chilli flakes.
- Bring the stew to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes with the lid slightly ajar.
- Once cooked - divide into bowls and sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander.
Make tomato and aubergine stew your way
- Make it spicier and add a chopped fresh chilli.
- Go Indian and switch the spices to a spoonful of curry powder.
- Add in more veggies – try courgette or mushrooms
How to serve tomato and aubergine stew
- Delicious midweek dinner – serve with a warm garlicky naan bread.
- As a quick healthy dinner – serve with brown rice, maybe a side salad.
- Make it a little more special and top with toasted flaked almonds, a spoonful of natural yogurt and a drizzle of honey.