Our homemade Ranch Coleslaw recipe makes a great alternative to traditional coleslaw and is perfect for serving at summer BBQs, picnics or potlucks. Best of all it’s so easy to make!
I’m sure you’ve seen the Ranch Coleslaw kits in the supermarket but it’s so easy to make yourself at home with just a handful of ingredients.
We just love this fresh and zingy Ranch Coleslaw Recipe – crunchy shredded cabbage and carrots tossed together with onion in a delicious creamy ranch dressing.
So easy! And so mouthwateringly good to eat. I love this alongside chicken, fish or even just piled into a baked potato or heaped into pastrami sandwiches – delicious!
And there’s something so super moreish about ranch dressing… I could just drizzle it on everything I eat! It’s such a summery flavour and reminds me of warm days and picnics.
Ranch Coleslaw Ingredients
- 1/2 red onion – finely sliced
- 2-3 carrots – chopped into matchsticks
- 1/2 white cabbage – shredded
- 2-3 tbs ranch dressing
Now – you can make your own ranch dressing instead of using shop bought – it just depends how much time you have and whether or not you can be bothered with the effort – we love this ranch dressing recipe from The Pioneer Woman here.
How To Make Ranch Coleslaw
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl – so tip in the sliced onion, shredded cabbage, carrot matchsticks and 2-3 tbs of ranch dressing.
- Mix all the ingredients together gently to coat everything in ranch dressing.
- Tip the ranch coleslaw into a serving bowl and that’s it – all done – so easy and so tasty!
What can I add to coleslaw?
Now you’ve got the basic ranch coleslaw recipe – feel free to add to it, scatter over things you like, stir through added extras. We like to add…
- Crunchy homemade croutons – really garlicky ones.
- Bacon bits – simply chop bacon into little squares and quickly fry until crispy
- Chopped chives
- Grated Cheddar cheese (this is just oh so good stirred through slaw)
How to make homemade croutons for salad
- Just cube up some dry bread – include the crusts too.
- Add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan – tip in the dried bread. (for garlicky croutons add a pinch of garlic powder or fry in garlic infused olive oil)
- Sprinkle with mixed Italian herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Fry until crispy.
- Tip on to kitchen paper to drain the oil.
- Leave to cool and add to your favourite salad.
These little homemade croutons are great served with a chicken Caesar salad, or even to add a little crunchy topping to homemade soup.
- 1/2 red onion - thinly sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 white or red cabbage shredded
- 2-3tbs ranch dressing
- Add the onion, carrots, cabbage and ranch dressing to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix everything together to coat all the salad vegetables in the dressing
- Tip into a clean bowl to serve
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
If you like our ranch coleslaw recipe
… you might also like
- Vegan Healthy Slaw Recipe (ad feature recipe) – a delicious crunchy homemade slaw with added toasted seeds in a light vinaigrette dressing.
- Spicy Coleslaw – zingy, tangy coleslaw with a hit of chopped jalapeños for added heat! Perfect with Mexican food.
- Apple Coleslaw – a delicious autumn apple coleslaw, great with proper hotdogs, pork pies or sausage rolls.