Sometimes only a retro prawn cocktail will do, a little tumble of crisp iceberg lettuce, half moon cucumber slices, juicy ripe tomatoes topped with prawns dressed in Marie Rose sauce.
Our retro prawn cocktail is great as a starter, in the 70s and 80s this always use to be the starter for Christmas dinner. If starters aren’t your thing, this makes a quick and easy lunch recipe.
A retro classic
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce - shredded
- 1/2 cucumber - sliced into half moons
- 4 vine tomatoes - sliced into quarters
- 400g cooked prawns
- 2-3 tbs Marie Rose sauce
- lemon wedges
- black pepper
- Add the lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes to small bowls.
- Toss the prawns in Marie Rose sauce and tip them onto the bed of salad.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon and sprinkling of cracked black pepper.
Make retro prawn cocktail your way
- I use the little prawns but you can use king prawns instead.
- Add in some sliced avocado.
- Go spicy with the dressing or add in a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Use homemade Marie Rose sauce – get the recipe here
How to serve retro prawn cocktail
- Perfect as a Christmas dinner starter
- Great as a light lunch.