There is something really, really good about a toasted, melty Reuben sandwich…. mmmm delicious slices of pastrami, gooey melted Emmental cheese, spicy dressing and sauerkraut all tucked up in crisped rye bread. Just so good!
- 2 slices of rye/spelt or wholegrain bread
- 4 thin slices of pastrami
- handful of grated Emmental cheese
- spoonful of sauerkraut
- 1 tbs mayonnaise
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 1 tsp hot chilli sauce
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Heat the toastie maker - I use a Breville
- Mix up the spicy dressing - stir together the mayo, tomato ketchup, hot chilli sauce and worcestershire sauce.
- Butter the bread.
- Place one slice of bread - butter side down into the toastie maker - load up with a spoonful of the spicy dressing, pastrami, grated cheese and sauerkraut - add the top slice of bread - again butter side out.
- Squeeze the toastie maker closed and cook for around 4-5 minutes until the filing is piping hot and the bread golden brown.
Make a Reuben toasted sandwich your way
- Skip the spice and use ketchup instead of adding the hot chilli sauce.
- Don’t fancy sauerkraut then skip it and try chutney instead.
- Switch the rye/spelt bread for any you fancy.
How to serve a Reuben melt toasted sandwich
- We love this as an easy lunch with a glass of juice.
- Try as an easy midweek dinner – add a side of salad or slaw, maybe even some fries
You might also just LOVE our Italian steak ciabatta