Really make the most of the big juicy seasonal red peppers with this delicious Italian style roast red pepper pesto. We can’t get enough of this just stirred through freshly cooked spaghetti, fab for a quick, healthy midweek dinner.
Delicious summery pesto recipe
- 2 large red peppers
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 clove of garlic - minced
- 2 handfuls of basil leaves - roughly torn
- 2 handfuls of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 200C and place the peppers in a roasting tin, don't add oil or seasoning. Cook them in the oven for around 20 minutes or until the start to soften and brown.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and slice them into quarters - scrape out the seeds and leave them to cool down for 10 minutes or so.
- Whilst they cool, toast the fennel seeds - add them to a dry frying pan and gently toast over a medium heat until they give off a warm spicy scent. Then grind them up using a pestle and mortar.
- To make up the pesto first tip the peppers, garlic, basil, fennel and salt and pepper into the blender, pulse to a rough puree.
- Add the Parmesan and the olive oil, pulse again until you have the consistency you like.
- Serve stirred through freshly cooked spaghetti.
Make red pepper pesto your way
- Go spicy with a pinch of chilli flakes or drizzle of chilli infused olive oil.
- Switch the basil for finely chopped rosemary or thyme
How to serve red pepper pesto
- Stir through freshly cooked spaghetti and add a side salad for a delicious easy dinner.
- Use to top bruschetta.
- Stir into soup or casseroles for added flavour.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Love to eat Italian food? Try out more of our easy Italian recipes here
Get loads more delicious easy pasta dishes here