Make the most of deliciously sweet roasted butternut squash with this super easy vegetarian roast squash and feta couscous meal idea. Super simple and really tasty!
A delicious and easy recipe for roast squash and feta couscous.
This simple little dish is packed with flavour and big enough to be a midweek dinner for two just as it is.
Or you could use it as a vegetable side dish to serve four – try alongside roast chicken or grilled fish.
I use the Ainsley Harriott flavoured couscous sachets for this recipe to really pack in the flavour with very little effort.
Honestly it really is worth keeping a few of these flavoured couscous sachets in the cupboard at home.
They’re great for adding to leftovers to create a great new dinner or as using to make couscous salad for packed lunches.
I love this as an easy autumn-y dinner served alongside a nice glass of red wine and a zesty little green salad – preferably one with rocket leaves.
Little cooks tip here – if you’re feeling extra lazy just buy the bags of ready peeled and chopped butternut squash to save time on dinner prep.
Roast Butternut Squash and Feta Couscous Recipe
Ingredients for Roast Squash and Feta Couscous
You’ll just need a handful of ingredients to make this delicious easy vegetarian couscous recipe!
- 15ml olive oil – you could use rapeseed oil if you prefer.
- 500g butternut squash – simply peeled and chopped into bitesized pieces, if you’re short on time you can buy this in packs ready peeled and cubed from the supermarket.
- 1 red onion – peeled and chopped into wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic – left whole in skin
- 50g feta cheese – crumbled
- 20g pine nuts
- handful of chopped basil
- 100g couscous – I use Ainsley Harriot sun-dried tomato and garlic flavour
How To Make Roast Squash And Feta Couscous
You are just going to LOVE how easy our squash and feta couscous is to make – it’s super simple!
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Chop the butternut squash and red onions into bite sized pieces.
- Tip the chopped butternut squash and red onion into a roasting tin.
- Tip the olive oil over the chopped butternut squash and red onion and tuck two unpeeled cloves of garlic in amongst the vegetables.
- Season the butternut squash and onions with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for around 25 minutes or until the butternut squash and onions are tender.
- Tip the pine nuts into a dry frying pan.
- Toast the pine nuts over a low heat until they’re just starting to brown and smell deliciously warm and nutty. It’ll only take a couple of minutes – be sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- When the butternut squash is almost ready – make up the flavoured couscous sachet as per the packet instructions and leave it to soak up the water.
- One the butternut squash is roasted – find the roast garlic cloves and remove them from the tin onto a small plate.
- Using a fork – squash the roast garlic from the skin – it will ooze out like a lovely garlicky paste. Discard the skins.
- Stir the roast garlic paste into the tray of roasted butternut squash – really mix it in to spread the flavour.
- Fluff up the prepared couscous with a fork to separate the grains.
- Tip the flavoured couscous into the roasting tin with the roast vegetables and stir gently to mix everything together.
Get more tasty feta recipes here
- Tip the toasted pine nuts into the roast vegetables and couscous.
- Tip the crumbled feta into the roast squash couscous and tear up the basil leaves – scatter them into the tin.
- Stir everything together gently so all the flavours mix together nicely.
- Tip the roast squash and feta couscous into serving bowls and eat.
Get our delicious whipped feta dip recipe here
Get more delicious autumn recipes here
Variations On Roast Squash And Feta Couscous
You can switch up the ingredients in this recipe to suit yourself – just use the main recipe as a base and go in your own direction. Try…
- Switch the butternut squash for pumpkins or sweet potatoes – it’ll taste just as delicious!
- Switch the feta cheese for torn mozzarella or try Manchego shavings or even crumbled blue cheese for extra zing.
- Add in more vegetables – try courgettes and mushrooms.
- Use plain couscous instead of flavoured.
- Add in some chorizo sprinkles or snipped up crispy bacon.
Get loads more tasty vegetable dishes here
How To Serve Roast Squash And Feta Couscous
Our tasty couscous recipe is delicious served just as it is – nice and warm from the oven – but you could also try out the serving suggestions below!
- In bowls with a side of garlic bread and rocket salad, with a glass of red wine for midweek dinner.
- As an easy side dish for roast chicken.
- Leftovers are fab cold next day for lunch – just pack in air tight lunchbox.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
More Butternut Squash Recipes to Try
You might also just LOVE our halloumi fries recipe.
- Roast butternut squash, red pepper and feta pie – honestly – just the best vegetarian pie we’ve ever made – totally packed with flavour and delicious warm or cold.
- Roast butternut squash and pancetta gnocchi – quick and easy gnocchi recipe with butternut squash and sizzled pancetta – great for midweek dinner.
- Roast butternut squash bruschetta – a tasty, filling bruschetta topped with rocket, roast squash and crumbled blue cheese – really simple supper recipe or sunshine lunch.
You might also just LOVE our pumpkin risotto recipe.
You might also love our 25 Easy Summer Crockpot Recipes – Spend less time in the kitchen and more time out in the sunshine!
- 15ml Olive oil
- 500g Butternut Squash
- 1 Red onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 50g Feta cheese
- 20g Pine nuts
- Basil - small bunch
- 100g couscous sachet
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Peel and chop the squash and onion into bitesized pieces.
- Put the butternut squash, onion and garlic cloves into the roasting tin - drizzle over the olive oil and season with sea salt and blak pepper.
- Roast in the oven for around 25 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Prepare the couscous as per the packet instructions.
- Once the butternut squash is ready - remove the garlic cloves and squeeze them from the skins.
- Stir the garlic back into the roast vegetables.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan until light brown.
- Mix the roast butternut squash, couscous, pine nuts, feta and torn basil leaves together.
- Divide between bowls and eat.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 122mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Get all our delicious vegetarian recipes here
You might also love our Halloumi Tray Bake – a tasty, easy dinner with roasted Mediterranean vegetables topped with chilli spiked halloumi.