Totally delicious, flavoursome roast tomato soup with an Italian vibe and just wait until you taste those spicy prawns on top – so good!
Our delicious roast tomato and Meditteranean style vegetable soup is simple to make, bursting with flavour and with a whole load of ideas for garnishes you really can make this soup your own.
Roast Tomato Soup Recipe
How to roast tomatoes for soup
Roast vegetable soup is my favourite to make – you can pack it with delicious vegetables – I tend to use plump, ripe vine tomatoes, peppers, carrots, celery, onions and fennel. I tuck in cloves of garlic and season well with herbs, sea salt and black pepper – add a good glug of olive oil and roast in the oven slowly for around an hour so you get a great, caramelised, sweet and delicious flavour.
When roasting vegetables for soup – make sure you cut the vegetables into similar sized pieces so they roast evenly – tomatoes only need cutting in half.
How to make Roast Tomato Soup
Roast Tomato Soup
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped into batons
- 2 Peppers chopped into bitesized pieces
- 8 Vine Tomatoes chopped in half
- 1 Bulb of Fennel chopped into wedges
- 2 Sticks of Celery chopped into batons
- 3 Cloves of Garlic leave unpeeled
- 2-3 tbs Olive Oil ,
- 2 tsp Fennel Seeds toasted and ground
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
- 600 ml Hot Vegetable Stock
- 400 g King Prawns
- 1 pinch Chilli Flakes
- 1 Lemon Zest and Juice
- 1 Small Bunch Flat Leaf Parlsey
- Heat the oven to 180C – put the chopped vegetables into a roasting tin and tuck the garlic cloves in amongst the veggies, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle over the fennel seeds, oregano and season with salt and pepper. Roast for around an hour or until everything is nice and cooked through and just browning.
- Once the vegetables are roasted – tip them and any juices into a blender (you may need to do this in two batches depending on how large your blender is) As you blitz slowly pour in the hot vegetable stock unitl you have a lovely thick soup.
- Transfer to a saucepan to serve.
- For the spicy prawn topping – add a glug of olive oil to a frying pan – tip in the prawns, sprinkle over the chilli flakes, lemon zest and juice and season as you wish with salt and black pepper. Cook the prawns until they're cooked right through properly. Then sprinkle on the chopped flat leaf parsley.
- To serve – ladle soup into bowls and top with spicy prawns.
Soup Garnish Ideas
If spicy prawns isn’t doing it for you then here’s a whole load of other delicious soup garnish ideas to try out….
- Gremolata breadcrumbs – a toasty little mix of chopped garlic, lemon zest, rosemary, flat leaf parsley – stirred through fried breadcrumbs.
- Soured cream swirl with chopped parsley
- A swish of infused oil – try garlic, chilli or truffle
- Crispy homemade croutons – fry cubes of bread in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Greek yogurt swirled into the soup
- Toasted pine nuts or seeds
What to eat with soup
A bowl of soup is a delicious, easy lunch idea – but if you fancy something alongside your soup – we just don’t think you can go wrong with…
- Garlicky French roule cheese spread on sourdough bread
- Toasted cheese sandwiches
- Fresh bread rolls with butter
- French baguette
Vegetarian Soups to Make
We think you might also just LOVE some of our other delicious soups – try…
- Hearty Italian Vegetable Soup
- Best Sweet Potato Soup
- Moroccan Spiced Roast Vegetable Soup
- Broccoli and Marmite Soup