Get busy in the kitchen and cook up a delicious, warming Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. It’s literally autumn in a bowl! Super tasty – naturally vegan and oh so simple to make.
How to make roasted red pepper and tomato soup
A delicious warming, comforting soup made with roasted peppers and tomatoes for a mouthwatering smoky sweet taste. The gently spiced hit from the fennel seeds really makes this soup something special.
This tasty soup is perfect for cold autumn days served with crusty bread for dipping in.
Best of all it’s super simple to make! Toss all the veggies in olive oil, herbs and seasoning and roast in the oven – once they’re done scrape them and any juices from the tray into a blender and blitz with hot vegetable stock to make a delicious homemade vegetable soup. So easy and so delicious!
This is my favourite way to make soup it tastes so much better than just simmering everything in a pan.
Deliciously warming and rich autumn soup.
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 large ripe vine tomatoes
- 2 carrots - scrubbed
- 2 pointed red peppers - deseeded
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pint hot vegetable stock
- chilli oil and dill to serve
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Toast the fennel seeds in a small dry frying pan until they start to give off a lovely fennel scent, then grind them in a pestle and mortar.
- Cut the carrots into small chips, chop the peppers into large chunks, slice the onion into wedges and leave the tomatoes and garlic whole. Toss them into a roasting tin and drizzle over the olive oil, scatter over the fennel, basil, oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for around 45 minutes.
- Scrape into the blender along with any juices.
- Blend whilst pouring in the hot vegetable stock.
- Serve in bowls drizzle with chilli oil and a scattering fresh dill.
Make our vegan Roast Red Pepper and Tomato Soup your way
- Add in some pumpkin or sweet potato.
- Skip the fennel and throw in more chillies or smoked paprika.
Delicious things to top your soup with…
I LOVE topping soup with a few extras – you could try…
- a spoonful of pesto swirled into the hot soup
- a spoonful of soured cream or natural yogurt
- a handful of Parmesan shavings
- or for a vegan vegetable soup version – try sprinkling over toasted sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or pine nuts.
What goes well with homemade vegetable soup?
Mmmm I just think you cannot beat fresh crusty bread to dip in soup, but you could try…
- Cheese sandwiches
- Cheese and pepper quesadillas
- Cheesy nachos