A healthy lunch bowl recipe that’s perfect for work from home lunch. Moroccan couscous topped with roasted root vegetables, spicy hummus and Greek yogurt. Delicious, healthy and super simple.
Working from home I often find I fall into a rut of cheese based lunch options… cheese on toast, cheesy baked potatoes, cheesy waffles….
cheese – cheese – cheese!
So I’m putting in the effort to make some healthy lunch options – ones that I can eat at home and also pack in lunchboxes for my older kids – who like to keep lunch healthy.
Healthy lunch bowls really are not difficult to make, just grab a bowl and throw in healthy things that you like! Any combination of foods you like. It’s a simple as that.
Roasted Root Vegetable Couscous Ingredients
Our healthy lunch bowls are filled with Moroccan style couscous, topped with roasted root vegetables with beetroot, then homemade spicy hummus, Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of chopped coriander.
- 4 carrots – peeled and chopped into batons.
- 1 large beetroot – peeled and chopped into wedges
- 2 sweet potatoes – peeled and chopped into bitesized pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil – you can use rapeseed oil if you prefer
- Salt and black pepper – to taste
- 2 sachets Moroccan flavoured couscous – I use Twistd Flavour Co Fruity Moroccan Couscous – but feel free to use any flavour you like.
- 4 tbs homemade spicy hummus – see info below for making up the spicy hummus, if you prefer or you’re short on time you can use shop bought – it’s your lunch bowl make it the way that suits you.
- Handful of chopped coriander – feel free to use other herbs if you prefer – flat leaf parsley or basil work well.
- 4 tbs Greek yogurt
Spicy Hummus Recipe
To make the homemade spicy hummus dip follow our basic hummus recipe here and then drizzle over a couple of teaspoonfuls of Nando’s hot peri peri sauce, then stir though gently with a fork.
The lunch bowls are also super tasty made with our beetroot hummus.
How to make roasted root vegetables
To make our delicious simple roasted root vegetables – we cook them in a tin foil parcel. Cooking the root vegetables in a tin foil parcel part steams and part roasts the vegetables, they just cook deliciously.
- Just lay a piece of tin foil onto a baking tray and lightly grease it using just a splash of olive oil.
- Then tip in the peeled and chopped root vegetables, drizzle over the olive oil, season with salt and black pepper.
- Add another sheet of tin foil on top and scrunch the edges together to form a tin foil parcel.
You could do honey roasted root vegetables if you prefer – just drizzle over some honey before sealing the tin foil parcel.
How to make roasted root vegetable couscous
- Cook the roasted root vegetable parcels in the oven at 200C for around 30 minutes.
- When the vegetables are almost ready – cook the couscous as per the packet instructions – it usually takes around 5 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are cooked – remove the foil parcel from the oven and open carefully because steam will rush out.
- Make up the lunch bowls – divide the couscous between the bowls, top with roasted root vegetables, add the hummus and the Greek yogurt and scatter over the chopped coriander.
More healthy lunch recipes to make
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad – super tasty pasta salad that’s absolutely loaded with cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and feta cheese finished with a tangy dressing.
- Roasted Tomato Soup – homemade roasted tomato soup topped with delicious spicy prawns. A total bowlful of goodness.
- Grilled Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich – load up a fresh bread roll with lots of grilled vegetables, drizzle over a tahini yogurt dressing and pop on the top.
Roasted Root Vegetable Couscous Recipe
- 4 carrots - peeled and chopped into batons
- 1 large beetroot - peeled and chopped into wedges
- 2 sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped into bitesized pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 sachets of Moroccan flavoured couscous
- 4 tbs hummus
- small bunch coriander leaves - roughly chopped
- 4 tbs Greek yogurt
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Lay the root vegetables onto a sheet of lightly greased tin foil.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle over the olive oil.
- Add a sheet of tin foil on top and scrunch the edges together to form a parcel.
- Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes.
- Just before the vegetables are cooked - make up the couscous sachets as per the packet instructions.
- Put together the healthy lunch bowls - divide the couscous between the bowls, top with ther roast root vegetables, add the hummus and greek yogurt then scatter over the chopped coriander
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 6g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our healthy roasted root vegetable couscous to Pinterest for later