What better way to celebrate autumn than a little family holiday in a cosy cottage in the countryside.
Autumn walks, maybe a trip to the seaside, time spent together as a family or relaxing with friends, coming back to the cottage after a day adventuring, getting cosy for the night around the wood burner with stories and laughter, the perfect autumn get away.
And a holiday with Original Cottages needs proper comfort food, the kind to relish. So light the candles, crowd together around the dinner table and tuck into a bowlful of our delicious sausage gnocchi bake. Little sausage meatballs, tossed together with gnocchi in a rich flavoursome tomato sauce, finished with tasty golden bubbling melted cheese mmmm just to good!
Totally delicious comfort food, perfect for a cold day
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- 1 red onion - diced
- 1 small chilli - deseeded and finely chopped
- 6 chunky pork sausages - choose high meat content
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- bunch of basil - leaves and stems chopped
- 600g fresh gnocchi
- 2 large handfuls of grated cheddar
- 125g mozzarella - diced
- salt and black pepper
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Make the sausage meatballs - skin the sausages, just slit through the sausage skin lengthways and flip the sausage meat out of the skin. Cut the sausage meat into 8 equal pieces to make mini sausage meatballs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, gently saute the onions, add just a pinch of salt, this just makes them soften quicker.
- Tip in the garlic, chilli and sausage meatballs and gently fry to brown the sausage balls, stir often so they don't stick.
- Tip in the tinned tomatoes, dried thyme and season with salt and black pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer with the lid off for 15 minutes.
- When the 15 minutes is almost up cook the gnocchi as per the packet instructions, it usually just takes 2-3 minutes. Once cooked, drain and tip into the sausage and tomato sauce and the chopped basil, stir well to coat everything.
- Tip the sausage gnocchi into a roasting tin or large oven proof dish - scatter over the grated cheese and diced mozzarella and bake in the oven for around 15 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
Make sausage gnocchi bake your way
- Don’t like gnocchi? Switch it for pasta.
- Switch the cheddar for Stilton or parmesan.
- Add in some mushrooms or peppers or both.
- For added crunch – mix the grated cheese with breadcrumbs and scatter over before baking.
How to serve sausage gnocchi bake
- Take the dish to the table, let everyone help themselves.
- Serve alongside some fresh crusty bread.
- Goes great with a nice glass of merlot.
Disclosure – post in collaboration with Original Cottages – for full details of my disclosure policy read here.