Another really quick pasta recipe – ideal for a busy weeknight as it’s ready in 20 minutes. Sausages and Savoy cabbage go together really well and serving them in pasta is a nice lighter alternative to a toad-in-the-hole or bangers, mash and gravy.
This is one of the only ways my children willingly eat cabbage!
Fresh pasta dish with sausage meatballs and cabbage
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 6-8 nice fat sausages - whichever kind you like
- small savoy cabbage - shredded
- 8 sun dried tomatoes - roughly chopped
- pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- salt, pepper and olive oil.
- 400g penne to serve
- Take the skins off the sausages - just make a slit the length of the sausage and pop the meat out. Break each sausage into around 6 ‘mini sausage meatballs’.
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large frying pan or wok and tip in the chopped garlic - fry for a minute then add the sausage meat balls and briskly stir fry them over a medium-low heat.
- With 12 minutes cooking time to go it’s time to get the penne on - bring to the boil a large pan of water, add a good pinch of salt and a swirl of olive oil, once it’s bubbling add the pasta and allow it to soften, using a spoon make sure it is all completely under the water. Bring the pan back to the boil and then turn down to a simmer - keep the lid off. Stir the penne every few minutes to prevent it from sticking together. Simmer for around 10-12 minutes.
- Once the pasta is simmering add the shredded cabbage and sun dried tomatoes to the sausage pan and continue to stir fry over a medium heat until the sausages are cooked through and the cabbage softened.
- Once the pasta is cooked - drain it and tip it into the pan with the sausages and cabbage, sprinkle over some chilli flakes if you like things hot. Toss everything together to coat well.
Divide between the plates - this is nice served with a tomato salad or buttery peas.
Fab quick meal ideas should always involve pasta!