We love this versatile little spicy rice recipe, we’ve served it here with spicy sausages, but you can go with whatever you fancy or just use up what you’ve got in.
It’s quick to make, uses little cheats, like microwave rice, our favourite cooking cheat so it’s ready fast.
Delicious spicy rice - totally moreish
- 1tbs rapeseed oil
- small onion - finely diced
- 1-2 tbs curry paste - whatever you like
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 2 sachet of plain basmati microwave rice
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach - roughly chopped
- 8 chunky sausages
- handful of coriander - roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200C and cook the sausages as per the packet instructions - when there's 15 minutes left of cooking time start the spicy rice.
- Add the oil to a large wok style frying pan - tip in the onions add a tiny pinch of salt and gently fry over a low heat for 5 minutes to soften them.
- Add the chickpeas, curry paste and cook for around 10 minutes to warm the chickpeas thoroughly.
- Meanwhile microwave the rice sachets as per the cooking instructions.
- Tip the rice into the pan and stir everything together - add the spinach and stir it in gently - it will wilt in the heat.
- Slice the cooked sausages and stir in.
- Divide between the plates to serve.
Make spicy Indian rice your way
- Go spicier with a hotter curry paste.
- Add in some fresh chilli for more spice.
- Swap the sausages for vegetarian ones for a vegetarian version.
- Skip the sausages all together and serve topped with a fried egg.
- Add in more vegetables – mushrooms or aubergine work well.
How to serve spicy Indian rice
- Delicious for an easy midweek dinner.
- In place of a Friday night take-away.