Savoury mince is a quick and easy family dinner, ready and on the table in under 20 minutes making it perfect for a busy school night. And better still it’s a meal kids really love especially if it comes with a side of cheesy mash. Proper comfort food.
To cook up a pan of savoury mince gently fry a finely chopped onion and pepper, add the minced beef, season with salt and black pepper, then add one tsp of ground cumin, two tbs of tomato puree and just a splash of water. Cook over a medium heat for around 10 minutes until the beef is cooked through.
Serve spooned over a mound of cheesy mashed potato with some peas and sweetcorn alongside.
A kids favourite tea time dinner recipe
- Onion - finely chopped
- Red pepper - finely chopped
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- Salt and pepper
- Splash of olive oil
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan or wok and gently fry the onions and peppers for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef mince, season with salt, pepper and cumin and cook for 5 minutes to brown.
- Stir in the tomato puree and a splash of water and cook over a medium heat for around 8-10 minutes until the mince is cooked through.
- You can make this unto a day ahead and keep in the fridge, just reheat thoroughly when ready to eat.
- A good recipe to make double of and pop half in the freezer for use another day.
Make it your way…
- Use lamb or turkey mince instead of beef.
- Go veggie and try out Quorn mince – you may need to add a little more tomato puree and water.
- Add more veggies – try finely chopped courgettes or mushrooms.
- Serve with rice or as a jacket potato topping.
- Go for a BBQ flavour and stir in a couple of tbs of BBQ sauce.
- Leftovers fab wrapped in soft flour tortilla
- Use to stuff little pasties – add a handful of grated cheese