Getting a good routine going on a school morning cuts down on the stress, the shouting and the general chaos. A school morning routine means you and the kids will be much calmer, more organised and arrive at school on time and with everything they need.
Our top tips for a smooth morning
the night before
- sign your name – sign reading records, homework diaries, permission slips
- cough up the cash – put lunch money, snack money, milk money and school club money into envelopes all marked up with names and amounts
- pack school bags and any sports kits needed the next day
- make and pack the lunches and store in the fridge ready for morning
- get out the uniforms and make sure shoes are shiny
- yawn… but a good nights sleep makes everything run far more smoothly so keep an eye on those ‘back to school’ bedtimes
- get up at least 30 minutes before the kids – that way you get a caffiene hit and shower.
- get the kids up at least 1 hour 30 minutes before the time you want to leave the house.
- make sure they get a proper breakfast – you might like our back to school breakfast recipes.
- create a checklist with the kids add on the essentials like – eat breakfast, clean teeth, wash, get dressed, brush your hair, put on shoes, get school bag/lunch/sports kits by the door and ready to go. Add on anything else that matters to your family.
- no TV or computer games until everything on the checklist has been ticked off
top tips for a less shouty morning
- do as much of the organising and preparation you can the evening before
- don’t forget to set the alarm and be up on time – plenty of time means no rushing and no losing tempers.
- pick your battles, for example if the kids only like one thing for breakfast don’t experiment with new things on a school morning , wait until the weekend.
- the ‘no screens until completely ready’ RULE definitely reduces the amount of nagging needed!