Cut the stress with our top tips for a morning routine for school that actually works! Easy way to have a calmer, less shouty morning.
Getting a good routine going on a school morning cuts down on the stress, the shouting and the general chaos.
A school morning routine means you and the kids will be much calmer, more organised and arrive at school on time and with everything they need.
Top Tips For An Easy Morning Routine For School
Things to do the night before school
- sign your name – sign reading records, homework diaries, permission slips
- cough up the cash – put lunch money, snack money, milk money and school club money into envelopes all marked up with names and amounts
- pack school bags and any sports kits needed the next day
- make and pack the lunches and store in the fridge ready for morning
- get out the uniforms and make sure shoes are shiny
- yawn… but a good nights sleep makes everything run far more smoothly so keep an eye on those ‘back to school’ bedtimes
Morning routine for school
- get up at least 30 minutes before the kids – that way you get a caffiene hit and shower.
- get the kids up at least 1 hour 30 minutes before the time you want to leave the house.
- make sure they get a proper breakfast – you might like our back to school breakfast recipes.
- create a checklist with the kids add on the essentials like – eat breakfast, clean teeth, wash, get dressed, brush your hair, put on shoes, get school bag/lunch/sports kits by the door and ready to go. Add on anything else that matters to your family.
- no TV or computer games until everything on the checklist has been ticked off
Parenting Hacks For A Less Shouty Morning
- do as much of the organising and preparation you can the evening before
- don’t forget to set the alarm and be up on time – plenty of time means no rushing and no losing tempers.
- pick your battles, for example if the kids only like one thing for breakfast don’t experiment with new things on a school morning , wait until the weekend.
- the ‘no screens until completely ready’ RULE definitely reduces the amount of nagging needed!
More Back To School Tips And Ideas
- Create a school organization station – have everything you need for school in one place with this super organized little project.
- Lunch box menu – our easy mix n match packed lunch planner means you can put together healthy lunchboxes the simple way.
- After school snack ideas – because after school snacks are where it’s at – the minute they walk through the door!
Save our school morning routine to Pinterest for later!
Get more family life organisation tips here