A vibrant little mix of red cabbage, apples and onions with a sweet delicious taste – perfect Christmas Dinner side dish.
Our super tasty, punchy braised red cabbage with apples makes the perfect side dish for any dinner. Our red cabbage recipe is really easy to prepare and cook, making it a delicious, faff free side dish for Christmas Dinner or Thanksgiving Dinner.
How to make braised red cabbage and apples to go with Christmas Dinner
This is another super easy vegetarian side dish – just shred the cabbage, finely slice the onion and peel and slice the apples.
Then gently fry the onion in butter over a low heat, when softened add the cabbage and apple slices – stir fry for a couple of minutes then pour over about 1/3 cup water and 2 tbs apple cider vinegar – sprinkle over the brown sugar.
Pop the lid onto the pan and leave to cook slowly for around 15-20 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Then cook with the lid off for around 5 minutes to cook off any excess liquid.
Red Cabbage with Apples Recipe
Braised Red Cabbage with Apples
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 Small/Medium Red Cabbage washed, chopped and shredded
- 2 Apples peeled, quartered, core removed & thinly sliced
- 2 tbs Cider Vinegar
- 2-4 tsp Brown Sugar add sugar to your personal preference
- 100 ml Boiling Water
- 40 g Butter
- pinch Grated Nutmeg
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or skillet pan with a lid
- Add the onion and fry gently for around 5 minutes
- Tip in the cabbage and apples and stir fry for a couple of minutes
- Pour in the vinegar, sprinkle over the sugar and pour in the water
- Put the lid on the pan and gently braise over a low heat for around 20-25 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- Then cook with the lid off for around 5 minutes to cook off any excess liquid.
- Spoon into to a serving bowl and grate over some nutmeg – season with salt and pepper to taste
MORE CHRISTMAS DINNER SIDE DISH IDEAS
Christmas Dinner needs quite a few side dishes – try
- Crisp roast potatoes
- Steamed green beans with lemon and butter glaze
- Garlic and herb mashed potatoes
- Sprouts with bacon and maple syrup
- Braised red cabbage with apples
- Steamed broccoli
- Buttered peas
- Honey and thyme carrots
- Carrot and swede mash
- Honey glazed roast parsnips
How to use up leftover red cabbage
If the cabbage is raw you can use in…
- Coleslaw (advertisement feature recipe)
- Stir fry
To use up any leftover braised red cabbage with apple – you could reheat it through the next day and eat with other leftover Christmas dinner items – or try…
- Adding it as a side dish to a pie or potato hash.
- Use in place of sauerkraut on a Reuben toasted sandwich
- With Christmas ham and cheese in a toasted sandwich