A vibrant little mix of braised red cabbage, apples and onions with a sweet delicious taste – perfect Christmas Dinner side dish.
Our super tasty, punchy braised red cabbage with apples makes the perfect side dish for any dinner. Our red cabbage recipe is really easy to prepare and cook, making it a delicious, faff free side dish for Christmas Dinner or Thanksgiving Dinner.
Braised red cabbage with apples ingredients
- 1 Onion – sliced
- 1 Small/Medium Red Cabbage – washed, chopped and shredded
- 2 Apples – peeled, quartered, core removed & thinly sliced
- 2 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2-4 tsp Brown Sugar – add sugar to your personal preference
- 100ml Boiling Water
- 40g Butter
- pinch Grated Nutmeg
- Salt and Black Pepper
How to make braised red cabbage and apples to go with Christmas Dinner
Our fried red cabbage with apples recipe is just such a super easy, vegetarian side dish – just shred the cabbage, finely slice the onion and peel and slice the apples.
Then gently fry the onion in butter over a low heat, when softened add the cabbage and apple slices – stir fry for a couple of minutes then pour over about 1/3 cup water and 2 tbs apple cider vinegar – sprinkle over the brown sugar.
Pop the lid onto the pan and leave to cook slowly for around 15-20 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Then cook with the lid off for around 5 minutes to cook off any excess liquid.
MORE CHRISTMAS DINNER SIDE DISH IDEAS
As well as our best braised red cabbage with apples – Christmas Dinner and Thanksgiving Dinner need quite a few side dishes – try
- Crisp roast potatoes
- Steamed green beans with lemon and butter glaze
- Garlic and herb mashed potatoes
- Sprouts with bacon and maple syrup
- Braised red cabbage with apples
- Steamed broccoli
- Buttered peas
- Honey and thyme carrots
- Carrot and swede mash
- Honey roast parsnips
How to use up leftover red cabbage
If the cabbage is raw you can use in…
- Coleslaw (advertisement feature recipe)
- Stir fry
To use up any leftover braised red cabbage with apple – you could reheat it properly the next day and eat with other leftover Christmas dinner items – or try…
- Adding it as a side dish to a pie or potato hash.
- Use in place of sauerkraut on a Reuben toasted sandwich
- With Christmas ham and cheese in a toasted sandwich
NEED SOME FAMILY DINNER RECIPES INSPIRATION?
Check out our meal planning guide here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
Red Cabbage with Apples Recipe
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 small red cabbage - shredded
- 2 apples - peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 3tsp brown sugar (add more or less to your own tastes)
- 100ml boiling water
- 40g butter
- pinch grated nutmeg
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or skillet pan with a lid
- Add the onion and fry gently for around 5 minutes
- Tip in the cabbage and apples and stir fry for a couple of minutes
- Pour in the vinegar, sprinkle over the sugar and pour in the water
- Put the lid on the pan and gently braise over a low heat for around 20-25 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- Then cook with the lid off for around 5 minutes to cook off any excess liquid.
- Spoon into to a serving bowl and grate over some nutmeg – season with salt and pepper to taste
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our super tasty vegetable sides for Thanksgiving to Pinterest for later!
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Get more easy Christmas recipes here
Get loads more tasty vegetable dishes here