A completely natural way to fill your house with the scent of autumn is to simmer up a scented stove top freshener.
There’s no rules with stove top freshener, just add in the things you like the smell of, cover with plenty of water and be sure to check it regularly so it doesn’t boil dry.
I like to use a little mixture of apple, clementine, cinnamon sticks, star anise, ginger, nutmeg and cloves and just let it fill my home with it’s delicious evocative scent, swirling me into a cosy little autumn afternoon.
Autumnal stove top freshener ingredients
- 1 apple – peeled, peel thrown in too
- clementine – peeled, peel thrown in too
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- thumb sized piece of ginger – sliced
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- small handful of cloves
- 2 drops of orange essential oil
How to make the stove top freshener
- Pop all the ingredients into a saucepan, fill with water then bring to a low simmer on the stove, turn the heat to low and leave simmering away for a few hours, remember to check regularly and top up the water when needed.
- When I’ve finished with the stove top freshener I drain the fruit and spices, store in a box in the fridge and refuse the next couple of days – then compost after that.
- This is a great stove top freshener to use if you’re having autumn/winter parties at home, it’ll really make your home smell delicious.
- It’s also good at driving out the smell when you’ve been cooking fish.