Get a taste of spring with our deliciously simple lamb stew. You’ll need just a handful of ingredients to throw together this easy one pot family meal. It’s tasty, seasonal and so simple to make.
You’ll just need celery, onions, carrots, lamb, red wine and tinned tomatoes to rustle up the lamb stew. We don’t put in anything else, we keep the flavour simple. If you like a little more umph to your stew then once you’ve served it add a sprinkling of freshly made gremolata with garlic, lemon zest and rosemary.
Preheat the oven to 180C. Add a splash of olive oil to a large pan (one you can use on the hob and in the oven) gently fry the onions, celery and carrots whilst you prepare the lamb. I use diced lamb leg and cut the pieces into small bitesize chunks as it cooks quicker. Add the lamb to the pan and brown, tip in the red wine, add the tinned tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Pop the stew into the oven and cook for 2 hours. That’s it, all it takes to get a simple tasty lamb stew.
Get loads more easy casserole recipes here!
The lamb stew tastes delicious served with rosemary and lemon roasted baby potatoes and some purple sprouted broccoli. Any leftovers can be turned into quick pasties for dinner the next day.
Delicious lamb stew ideal for feeding a family
- olive oil
- 3 sticks of celery - finely sliced
- 2 red onions - finely chopped
- 3 carrots - scrubbed and sliced
- 800g lamb leg meat - diced into small bitesize chunks
- 350ml red wine
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Put the pan over a low heat and add a splash of olive oil - tip in the celery, onions and carrots and gently fry for around 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb and brown. Then tip in the red wine and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the stew to the boil then put the lid on and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
Make it your way…
- Need it to feed a few more then add a tin of chickpeas and some extra carrots.
- Don’t want to use wine – just add vegetable stock instead
- Want a true one pot meal – throw in some scrubbed new potatoes to cook in with the stew – you may need to pop a little more stock in if you do this.
- Make the stew in the slow cooker if you prefer – cook on low for around 8 hours.
- Love your leftovers – when I have this stew leftover I throw in a couple of handfuls of peas and some finely chopped mint then use it as a filling for mini pasties for dinner next day. Totally delicious.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
If you love to cook with lamb then you’ll love these tasty lamb dishes.
Browse all our meat recipes here
Get our BEST slow cooker recipes here