A lovely quick and easy family recipe. This pasta with rich tomato sauce is ready and on the table in around 20 minutes making it perfect weeknight food.
It’s best served with a nice short pasta like rigati but it’s still yummy with spaghetti or penne.
This sauce also makes a fab pizza sauce – worth making double and keeping some in the freezer for use another day. A super quick meal idea – one worth remembering for a busy weeknight.
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- olive oil, salt & pepper
- tsp brown sugar
- tbs Balsamic vinegar
- handful of chopped basil (optional)
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and gently fry the garlic for a minute or two.
- Tip in the tinned tomatoes, oregano, sugar, Balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and allow to cook so the sauce is still bubbling for around 20 minutes.
- Whilst the sauce is simmering away pop the pasta on to cook - bring to the boil a large pan of water, add a good pinch of salt and a swirl of olive oil, once it’s bubbling add the pasta. Bring the pan back to the boil and then turn down to a simmer - keep the lid off. Stir the penne every few minutes to prevent it from sticking together. Simmer for around 12 minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked drain it using a colander and then tip it into the pan with the tomato sauce and toss together until the pasta is well coated.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil if using.
This is lovely served with a pile of garlicky lemony oven baked greens or a nice salad.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 57Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Get loads more delicious easy pasta dishes here
Get all our delicious vegetarian recipes here