A warming, comforting chicken and sausage casserole that’s the perfect easy Sunday dinner. Super easy to make and cook and oh so good to eat! You’ll LOVE it!
Our delicious chicken and sausage casserole is just so simple to make and it tastes so good.
It’s really good comfort food for a cold day.
It might just be a simple sausage stew with chicken and vegetables, but it’s the casserole the kids ask for the most.
They just love it. It’s really satisfying and warming.
And I love how easy it is to make!
- Chopping board
- Sharp vegetable knife
- Cast iron casserole pan with lid (or use a saucepan to start the casserole off on the hob then transfer to a casserole dish with a lid for the oven cooking part)
- Measuring jug
- Cooking spoon or spatula
Chicken And Sausage Casserole Ingredients
You’ll just need a few simple ingredients to make our delicious chicken and sausage stew.
- 8 sausages – choose high meat content sausages, I use Heck sausages for my sausage stew as they’re 97% pork meat.
- 400g chicken breast – diced into bitesize pieces, save yourself time here and buy it ready diced.
- 1 tbs olive oil – to brown the meat
- 1 onion – roughly diced or chopped
- 3 carrots – peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 sticks celery – sliced
- 700ml beef stock
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- Salt and black pepper
Get our best chicken recipes here – perfect for weeknight dinner
How To Make Chicken And Sausage Casserole
I use a cast iron casserole pan with a lid that’s hob and oven safe to make my sausage and chicken dish, if you don’t have one brown the sausages and chicken in a frying pan and then transfer to a casserole dish with a lid for the oven cooking.
Step One – preheat the oven
- Heat the oven – preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
Step Two – brown the chicken and sausages
- Brown the chicken and sausages – add a splash of olive oil to the pan and brown the sausages and cook the diced chicken breast until it turns white coloured on the outside.
Step Three – add the vegetables
- Add the vegetables – throw in the chopped onions, celery and carrots.
Step Four – add the stock, tomato puree and seasoning
- Add the beef stock and tomato puree – pour over the beef stock and add the tomato puree, season with salt and ground black pepper and give everything a gentle mix and stir around. Then put the lid on.
Step Five – cook the chicken and sausage casserole in the oven
- Cook in the oven – put the chicken and sausage casserole into the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes. When it’s cooked thoroughly remove the chicken sausage stew from the oven
Cooks Note – if the gravy needs thickening do this with a couple of tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste with cold water and then stirred through the gravy to thicken.
Make Chicken And Sausage Casserole Your Way
We’ve given you a delicious, basic chicken and sausage stew recipe, but there’s lots of ways to switch things up and create your own twist. Try any of the ideas below…
- Bulk it up – need your casserole to feed more people, then bulk it up. Add extra sausages or vegetables or try adding a can of butterbeans or brown lentils.
- Go spicy – fancy a kick of heat? Stir some harissa paste through the gravy or add a pinch of chilli powder.
- Use flavoured sausages – choose sausages with added flavour, this recipe works well with spicy sausages or Mediterranean style.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Can I Make Chicken And Sausage Casserole In The Slow Cooker?
Yes – you totally can make our stewed sausages and chicken in the slow cooker – here’s a few cooking tips to make sure it turns out tasty!
- Always brown your sausages before adding to slow cooker stew – otherwise they look awful!
- Reduce the amount of liquid added – slow cooker stews do tend to be quite watery if you add to much extra liquid – I’d use only 400ml for a slow cooker stew.
- If you need to – you can thicken your stew by mixing a couple of tsp of cornflour into a paste with some cold water and stirring through the stew.
Browse all our meat recipes here
What To Serve With Chicken And Sausage Casserole
I usually make this chicken and sausage dish as an easy Sunday dinner recipe, so I tend to add traditional Sunday dinner type side dishes…
- Yorkshire puddings – I’m usually lazy and buy the Aunt Bessies Yorkshire puddings – I like my Sunday’s to be less cooking more family time. I sometimes add some Aunt Bessie stuffing balls too, because they go so well with chicken and sausage!
- Mashed potatoes – you can’t beat a big bowlful of creamy mashed potatoes alongside a delicious chicken stew recipe. And if you fancy mash with a kick – try our mustard mash recipe here – it’s great with sausages.
- Green vegetables – add a side of green vegetables – broccoli or some frozen vegetables from the freezer work great here.
Get all our delicious sausage recipes here
More Tasty Chicken Casserole Recipes You’ll LOVE!
- Slow cooker Cajun chicken – this spicy slow cooker chicken stew is super simple – just 5 minutes preparation in the morning and you’ll come home to a delicious, fragrant, tasty stew.
- Spicy chicken casserole – go spicy with your chicken stew with this easy family recipe, perfect with rice and corn cobs – the whole family will love it!
- Chicken and chorizo one pot – a delicious one pot stew with Spanish vibes, packed to bursting with lovely Spanish flavours and healthy vegetables.
Need Some Family Meal Ideas?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 8 sausages
- 400g chicken breast - diced
- 1 onion - roughly chopped
- 3 carrots - sliced
- 2 sticks celery - sliced
- 700ml beef stock
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
- Add a splash of olive oil to the pan and brown the sausages and cook the diced chicken breast until it turns white coloured on the outside.
- Throw in the chopped onions, celery and carrots.
- Pour over the beef stock and add the tomato puree, season with salt and ground black pepper and give everything a gentle mix and stir around. Then put the lid on.
- Put the chicken and sausage casserole into the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes. When it’s cooked thoroughly remove the chicken sausage stew from the oven – if the gravy needs thickening do this with a couple of tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste with cold water and then stirred through the gravy to thicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 665Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 1621mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 52g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our comforting chicken and sausage casserole to Pinterest for later!