Mmmm we just can’t get enough of easy slow cooker one pot recipes – great for autumn dinner. Just a few minutes effort in the morning and come home to a delicious Beef and Ale Stew, serve with dumplings and crusty bread for a simple, low fuss family dinner.
Delicious, super easy beef stew recipe
- splash of olive oil
- 2 medium onions - roughly chopped
- 4 carrots - peeled and sliced
- 3 sticks of celery - sliced
- 600g stewing beef - cut into bitesize pieces
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 350ml ale - we use Hobgoblin
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 sprigs of thyme
- salt and pepper to season
- Add a splash of olive oil and gently fry the onions and celery.
- Add the meat and brown.
- Tip in the carrots, tinned tomatoes and pour over the ale.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme sprigs and season well with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
- If stew needs thickening - add a couple of teaspoons of cornflour to a cup and mix to a paste with cold water - then stir it through the stew to thicken.
- Serve spooned into bowls
How to make beef and ale stew your way
- Add in some more veggies – try swede, parsnips or leeks
How to serve beef and ale stew
- Serve spooned into bowls with cheat-y Aunt Bessie dumplings and crusty bread.
- Serve with oven baked potatoes and green veggies.
- Try serving with mashed potatoes and root vegetables.
You might also just LOVE our Rustic Chicken Casserole Recipe
Love beef stew – try our Italian beef stew here