The best part about autumn and winter is definitely dusting off the slow cooker and getting it doing all of the hard work. Our totally delicious family-friendly slow cooker bolognese is great for a busy weeknight.
To make up a pan of slow cooker bolognese we just throw in the chopped garlic and onions, brown the beef mince, add two grated carrots (I’m a mum squeezing in the extra ‘hidden’ veggies is essential), add two tins of tomatoes and big squirt of tomato puree and season with plenty of dried oregano and salt and pepper.
Eight hours later you’ll be coming home to a yummy rich bolognese sauce that just needs tossing through some freshly cooked spaghetti and serving with a large helping of peas and corn. Delicious, healthy and packed with vegetables.
Easy and tasty kids tea-time favourite.
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- Heaped tbs tomato puree
- 2 carrots - grated
- 2 tsp dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
- Heat the slow cooker to low.
- Lightly grease the slow cooker pan with olive oil.
- Gently fry the onion and garlic.
- Add the mince and brown.
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, grated carrots, herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for around 8 hours.
- If the bolognese sauce needs thickening just use a teaspoon of cornflour mixed into a drop of water and stir it through the sauce.
Make slow cooker bolognese your way…
- sneak in more veggies and grate in sweet potato or red pepper.
- go spicy and add a pinch of chilli powder.
- use the bolognese sauce as an Italian flavoured base to cottage pie – just top with fluffy mashed potatoes and brown in the oven.