The best part about autumn and winter is definitely dusting off the slow cooker and getting it doing all of the hard work. Our totally delicious family-friendly slow cooker bolognese is great for a busy weeknight.
To make up a pan of slow cooker bolognese we just throw in the chopped garlic and onions, brown the beef mince, add two grated carrots (I’m a mum squeezing in the extra ‘hidden’ veggies is essential), add two tins of tomatoes and big squirt of tomato puree and season with plenty of dried oregano and salt and pepper.
Eight hours later you’ll be coming home to a yummy rich bolognese sauce that just needs tossing through some freshly cooked spaghetti and serving with a large helping of peas and corn. Delicious, healthy and packed with vegetables.
How To Use Up Leftover Bolognese
You could use up your leftover bolognese sauce in our delicious Bolognese Sloppy Joes recipe.
Make slow cooker bolognese your way…
- sneak in more veggies and grate in sweet potato or red pepper.
- go spicy and add a pinch of chilli powder.
- use the bolognese sauce as an Italian flavoured base to cottage pie – just top with fluffy mashed potatoes and brown in the oven.
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic - chopped
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- Heaped tbs tomato puree
- 2 carrots - grated
- 2 tsp dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- salt & pepper
1. Heat the slow cooker to low.
2. Lightly grease the slow cooker pan with olive oil.
3. Gently fry the onion and garlic.
4. Add the mince and brown.
5. Tip in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, grated
carrots, herbs and season with salt and pepper.
6. Cook on low for around 8 hours.
7. If the bolognese sauce needs thickening just use a
teaspoon of cornflour mixed into a drop of water and stir it through the sauce.
Delicious weeknight tea!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 276Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 24g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Get more easy ground beef recipes here
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Love to eat Italian food? Try out more of our easy Italian recipes here
Get lots more delicious, healthy kid friendly recipes here
Browse all our meat recipes here
Get more really delicious easy minced beef recipes here
Get loads more delicious easy pasta dishes here
Get our BEST slow cooker recipes here