Just the BEST slow cooker brisket recipe – tender delicious brisket that cooks in a rich thick gravy – perfect for Sunday dinner.
Slow cooker brisket and gravy is fast becoming my favourite lazy Sunday lunch.
Our slow cooker brisket is so tender and the meat just melts in your mouth, and let me tell you about the gravy! Well… the gravy is so rich, meaty and tasty, it’s completely delicious!
Best of all our slow cooker brisket is super simple to make, you absolutely can’t mess it up!
It’s just a matter of throwing a few ingredients into the slow cooker on Sunday morning, then going off for the day and coming home to delicious melt in the mouth brisket and a rich, meaty, onion gravy.
It’s just the most delicious pot roast beef recipe ever! It’s by far our favourite way to cook a big family Sunday roast dinner. And it couldn’t be easier, right? Here’s how to cook brisket in the slow cooker in the BEST possible way.
Slow Cooker Brisket Ingredients
You’ll just need a handful of ingredients to make our delicious easy family dinner.
- 2 tsp olive oil – this is just to lightly grease the inside of the slow cooker pan, you can use rapeseed or sunflower oil if you prefer.
- 2 onions – choose medium brown onions for this recipe – they’ll just need peeling and roughly chopping into bitesized pieces.
- 4-6 carrots – choose small-medium carrots for this recipe. If the skins are good, then just give them a scrub and chop, otherwise peel them first.
- 1.5kg joint of brisket – the beauty of brisket is it’s a cheap cut of beef – but it’s tough. So it’s ideal for long slow cooking because this way of cooking really tenderises the meat.
- 300ml hot beef stock – I use Kallo beef stock cubes in this recipe – these are my preferred stock cubes, they contain no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives and no added MSG.
How to cook brisket in the slow cooker
- Heat the slow cooker to low
- Lightly grease the inside of the slow cooker pan with the olive oil
- Peel and roughly chop the onions
- Peel or scrub the carrots – then chop them if their big fat ones or just leave them whole if they’re smaller carrots
- Add the chopped onions to the bottom of the slow cooker pan
- Lay the carrots into the bottom of the slow cooker pan on top of the onions
- Lay the joint of brisket on top of the bed of onions and carrots
- Make up the 300ml of beef stock with boiling water
- Pour the stock over the top of the brisket, you can season with salt and black pepper here too if you wish.
- Transfer the pan to the slow cooker and leave to cook on slow for around 8 hours or until the brisket is cooked through properly and literally falling apart
- Once the brisket is cooked remove it from the slow cooker and pull it apart with two forks.
- Remove the larger carrots and then thicken the onion gravy using a tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste with a drop of cold water. Stir this through the gravy over a medium heat until the gravy thickens.
How to serve slow cooker brisket and gravy
I serve the brisket with Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and a selection of vegetables, pour over the gravy and there you have a deliciously easy Sunday dinner. You could try…
- Serve the brisket with creamy mashed potatoes with spoonfuls of gravy ladled over the top
- Try serving with chunky oven chips and green vegetables.
- You could even use all frozen roast dinner sides like frozen roast potatoes, frozen carrot and swede mash, frozen peas and corn and frozen Yorkshire puddings for a really easy Sunday dinner.
More slow cooker brisket recipes to try
Try our super easy 2 ingredient slow cooker BBQ brisket recipe – delicious pulled brisket that’s oh so good served in brioche rolls with creamy slaw.
Get the Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket Recipe here.
Can you over cook beef brisket in a slow cooker?
Yes – unfortunately you can over cook brisket which will make it chewy, tougher and dry. The ideal cooking time for brisket in the slow cooker is 8 hours on low.
Do you put water in the slow cooker with beef?
In our recipe we use beef stock rather than water, it just gives a richer tastier gravy.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 4 carrots
- 1.5kg brisket joint
- 300ml beef stock
- Preheat the slow cooker to low
- Grease the inside of the slow cooker pan using the olive oil
- Add the chopped onions to the bottom of the slow cooker pan.
- Lay the carrots on top of the onions
- Lay the brisket joint on top of the vegetables
- Pour over the hot beef stock
- Cook on slow for around 8 hours until the beef is cooked through properly and super tender.
- To thicken the gravy - remove the beef brisket and carrots then thicken using a tsp of cornflour that's been mixed with a drop of cold water - simmer over a medium heat until gravy thickens.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 767Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 265mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 74g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our delicious slow cooker brisket and gravy recipe to Pinterest for later!
And… if you’ve got any leftover slow cooker brisket then check out our tasty ways of using up leftover beef here for some delicious easy recipe ideas. Like our tasty Chinese style beef fried rice recipe.