Our flavoursome, easy slow cooker cajun chicken recipe has just five ingredients and takes less that 10 minutes to throw together. An easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
I don’t know about you but I LOVE using the slow cooker, especially on busy school days. We love the ease of coming home to dinner being ready and especially if it’s delicious slow cooker Cajun chicken. Flavoursome, easy to make and perfect served with a whole range of side dishes.
How to make slow cooker Cajun chicken
You’re going to just LOVE how easy this recipe is – just lightly oil the base of the slow cooker pan – toss in a handful of sliced onions and peppers and lay on the chicken breasts. Pour over the passata and sprinkle over the Cajun seasoning, adding salt and pepper to your liking.
Then cook on low for around 4 hours or high for around 8 hours. See?! Super simple!
Deliciously spicy slow cooker chicken.
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 pepper roughly sliced
- 4 chicken breasts
- 200g passata
- 2-3 tsp of cajun seasoning
- Heat the slow cooker and rub the base of the slow cooker pan with just a tiny splash of oil.
- Add the onions and peppers then lay on the chicken breasts, pour over the passata and sprinkle over the cajun seasoning. Add salt if using.
- Cook on high for around 4 hours or low for around 8 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken breasts and if the sauce needs thickening add a couple of teaspoons of cornflower to a cup and mix into a loose paste with water, pour it into the sauce and stir to thicken.
Make easy slow cooker Cajun chicken your way
You don’t need to stick to our recipe – mix things up to suit yourself, you can take our recipe as a basic idea and then add in any extras you like.
- Want more vegetables? Add in some mushrooms, tinned black beans or sweet corn.
- Turn our slow cooker Cajun chicken into a creamy sauce – stir through a few spoonfuls of thick heavy cream.
- Want it less spicy? Just add in a pinch of Cajun seasoning and maybe top up with dried Oregano or Thyme for extra herby flavour.
- Turn it into a one pot meal and add in peeled new potatoes to cook alongside the Cajun chicken.
What to serve with Cajun chicken
- Plain boiled rice is great alongside a rich and spicy Cajun chicken.
- Try our easy vegetable rice dish for squeezing more vegetables into your diet.
- Oven baked potato wedges are great alongside Cajun chicken
- Buttery corn cobs.
- Mashed potatoes or baked potatoes work great with spicy Cajun chicken.
- Fancy something zingy? Try our delicious healthy purple coleslaw (ad feature recipe)