Looking for an easy family dinner idea? Try our super tasty slow cooker peri peri chicken casserole and serve with wedges and homemade Nando’s style peas – totally delicious, easy family dinner recipe!
Slow cooker Peri Peri Chicken Stew
Lick you lips! You’re going to just love this slow cooker peri peri chicken casserole. Spicy, slowly cooked chicken, perfect for coming home to on a cold day.
Our peri peri chicken casserole is super simple to make, so it’s perfect for busy mums who have zero time! Literally 5-10 minutes preparation and switch on the slow cooker, done.
Peri Peri Chicken Casserole Ingredients
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 250g carrots – peeled and sliced (about 2 medium carrots or 4 small ones)
- 500g diced chicken breast
- 1 tin tomatoes (I use Polpa tomatoes as they give a smoother sauce)
- 3 tsp peri peri seasoning (use more or less to suit your own taste)
- Pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
How to make slow cooker peri peri chicken casserole
We love this spicy peri peri chicken casserole it’s just so easy to make!
I use a Crockpot sauté style slow cooker with removable pan so I start the chicken casserole off in that on the hob then transfer to the slow cooker once it’s boiling.
- Peel the carrots and slice.
- Pee the red onion and dice.
- Pour the olive oil into the slow cooker pan and gently wipe it around to grease the sides where you’ll be cooking.
- Tip in the chopped red onion.
- Tip the diced chicken breast into the slow cooker pan with the chopped onions
- Gently brown the chicken over a low heat on the hob.
- Tip the peeled sliced carrots into the slow cooker pan with the chicken and diced onions.
- Tip in the tin of chopped tomatoes – I use the Polpa tomatoes – they’re more finely chopped and the tomato juice is thicker so it gives a cooks into a nicer sauce. If you can’t find them, ordinary chopped tomatoes are fine.
- Tip in the peri peri seasoning.
- Mix all the peri peri chicken stew ingredients together gently.
- Bring the stew to the boil on the hob and then transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for around 6-8 hours until the chicken is cooked through properly.
How to make slow cooker peri peri chicken casserole your way
- Add more peri peri seasoning if you like things hotter.
- Add in some more veggies – chunkily sliced red pepper works well.
- Stir through a tin of beans if you need to bulk up your casserole to feed more people.
How to serve slow cooker peri peri chicken
- We love this with quick cheat-y wedges and some lovely homemade Nando style peas.
- It’s also lovely spooned over some cheesy mashed potatoes with a side of green beans.
- Delicious with homemade sweet potato wedges.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes to Make
- Slow Cooker Rustic Chicken Casserole – a hearty, filling chicken casserole recipe that’s perfect for coming home to on a cold day – a really easy healthy dinner recipe.
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Curry – ditch the take-out and tuck into a homemade chicken curry – the easy way! Packed with fresh vegetables and loads of flavour – our easy chicken curry will save your money and be much healthier for you.
- Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken – a super spicy slow cooker chicken recipe – this hot little dish is great served with rice and beans, roasted corn cobs and a big green salad.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 250g carrots
- 500g chicken breast - diced
- 400g can tomatoes
- 3 tsp peri peri seasoning
- Lightly oil the inside of the slow cooker pan
- Add the onions and chicken and gently brown over a medium heat
- Add the carrots, tinned tomatoes and peri peri seasoning.
- Add salt and pepper to your own liking.
- Bring the casserole to the boil and then cook in the slow cooker on low for around 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through properly.
- Once cooked if you need to thicke your casserole do so using a couple of tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste using a drop of water then stirred through the casserole and heated through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 340mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.