Looking for easy slow cooker dinner ideas? Try our super tasty slow cooker peri peri chicken stew and serve with wedges and homemade Nando’s style peas – totally delicious, easy family dinner recipe!
Slow cooker Peri Peri Chicken Stew
Lick you lips! You’re going to just love this slow cooker peri peri chicken stew.
A tasty, spicy, slowly cooked chicken casserole that is perfect for coming home to on a cold day.
It’s one of the kids favourite slow cooker chicken recipes.
Our peri peri chicken casserole is super simple to make, so it’s perfect for busy mums who have zero time!
Literally 5-10 minutes preparation in the morning then switch on the slow cooker and that’s it – done!
Peri Peri Chicken Stew Ingredients
You’ll just need a handful of ingredients to make this delicious slow cooker chicken stew
- 1 tbs olive oil – you can use rapeseed oil if you prefer.
- 1 red onion – choose a medium sized onion, then peel and chop into small pieces.
- 250g carrots – peeled and sliced (about 2 medium carrots or 4 small ones)
- 500g diced chicken breast – this is usually around 4 small chicken breasts or 2-3 larger chicken breasts. You can use chicken mini fillets if you prefer – they’re often cheaper to buy and as it’s just being diced up it really won’t matter.
- 1 tin tomatoes – I use Polpa tomatoes as they give a smoother sauce, it’s just a nicer texture than regular chopped tomatoes.
- 3 tsp peri peri seasoning – feel free to use more or less to suit your own taste. Peri Peri seasoning is a great little jar of spices, it’s good to have this in a home as you can add it to so many things for an instant blast of flavour. Try it on steak, grilled cheese or sprinkled into spicy pasta dishes. I use Schwartz Peri Peri seasoning.
- Pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
How To Make Peri Peri Chicken In The Slow Cooker
We love this spicy peri peri chicken casserole it’s just so easy to make! It’s one I often cook on school and work days when I’m super short on time.
Get loads more easy casserole recipes here!
I use a Crockpot sauté style slow cooker with removable pan so I start the chicken casserole off in that on the hob then transfer to the slow cooker once it’s boiling.
- Peel the carrots and slice.
- Peel the red onion and dice.
- Pour the olive oil into the slow cooker pan and gently wipe it around to grease the sides where you’ll be cooking.
- Tip in the chopped red onion.
- Tip the diced chicken breast into the slow cooker pan with the chopped onions
- Gently brown the chicken over a low heat on the hob.
- Tip the peeled sliced carrots into the slow cooker pan with the chicken and diced onions.
- Tip in the tin of chopped tomatoes – I use the Polpa tomatoes – they’re more finely chopped and the tomato juice is thicker so it gives a cooks into a nicer sauce. If you can’t find them, ordinary chopped tomatoes are fine.
- Tip in the peri peri seasoning.
- Mix all the peri peri chicken stew ingredients together gently.
- Bring the stew to the boil on the hob and then transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for around 6-8 hours until the chicken is cooked through properly.
Get more chicken mini fillets recipes and meal ideas here
How To Make Slow Cooker Peri Peri Chicken Stew Your Way
- Add more peri peri seasoning if you like things hotter. Or even try stirring a dash of the Nando’s hot sauce through just before serving.
- Add in some more veggies – chunkily sliced red pepper works well.
Get our best chicken recipes here – perfect for weeknight dinner
- Stir through a tin of beans (you can use black beans or even just a can of baked beans) if you need to bulk up your stew to feed more people.
Get more delicious autumn recipes here
How To Serve Slow Cooker Peri Peri Chicken
Get our BEST slow cooker recipes here
- We love this with quick to cook frozen potato wedges and some lovely homemade Nando style peas. The peas really don’t take long and you can make them whilst the potato wedges cook.
- It’s also lovely spooned over some cheesy mashed potatoes with a side of green beans. If it’s a cold rainy day then cheesy mashed potatoes are always a good thing and this spicy stew is oh so perfect with mash.
- Delicious with homemade sweet potato wedges.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes to Make
Browse all our meat recipes here
- Slow Cooker Rustic Chicken Casserole – a hearty, filling chicken casserole recipe that’s perfect for coming home to on a cold day – a really easy healthy dinner recipe.
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Curry – ditch the take-out and tuck into a homemade chicken curry – the easy way! Packed with fresh vegetables and loads of flavour – our easy chicken curry will save your money and be much healthier for you.
- Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken – a super spicy slow cooker chicken recipe – this hot little dish is great served with rice and beans, roasted corn cobs and a big green salad.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Need Some Family Meal Ideas?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planner tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 250g carrots
- 500g chicken breast - diced
- 400g can tomatoes
- 3 tsp peri peri seasoning
- Lightly oil the inside of the slow cooker pan
- Add the onions and chicken and gently brown over a medium heat
- Add the carrots, tinned tomatoes and peri peri seasoning.
- Add salt and pepper to your own liking.
- Bring the casserole to the boil and then cook in the slow cooker on low for around 6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through properly.
- Once cooked if you need to thicke your casserole do so using a couple of tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste using a drop of water then stirred through the casserole and heated through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 340mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our delicious slow cooker peri peri chicken stew to Pinterest for later!