Proper comfort food for a cold day – our Pork and Cider Casserole served with creamy mashed potatoes is a great family dinner idea and it only takes 10 minutes to throw together!
Pork and Cider Casserole Recipe
Mmmmm Slow Cooker Pork and Cider Casserole is just perfect for autumn.
This simple pork stew makes a delicious alternative to a Sunday roast and because it’s cooked in the slow cooker it’s a nice easy recipe which mean you can have a nice lazy Sunday.
You can throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker in less than 10 minutes and then come home to a delicious warming casserole.
The pork and cider casserole is perfect served with mustard streaked mashed potatoes or thick slices of crusty bread smothered in butter to dip in the juices.
Our pork casserole is easy, seasonal and delicious making it just the perfect easy family dinner idea.
Pork & Cider Casserole Ingredients
- 500g lean diced pork – choose lean pork and trim off any visible fat.
- 300g baby carrots – these little carrots are delicious in stew – just top and tail them and give them a scrub.
- 1 onion – choose a medium sized onion – then peel and dice
- 2 sticks celery – finely sliced
- 250ml apple cider – I always use Westons Cider in my casserole, it just has such a lovely flavour that works so well with the pork.
- 150ml chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried thyme – you can use fresh picked thyme leaves if you prefer – you’ll probably need a few sprigs.
- 2 tsp cornflour and a drop of water (to thicken gravy once cooked)
How to make pork and cider casserole
Our slow cooker pork and cider casserole is just so super easy to make.
All you need to do is tip all the ingredients into the slow cooker pan – bring it to the boil and leaving on low for around 8 hours to cook through.
- Peel and chop the onions
- Slice the celery sticks
- Scrub the baby carrots and cut the fat ones in halves.
- Add a splash of sunflower oil to the slow cooker pan and wipe it around the pan with a piece of kitchen roll to oil the sides.
- Tip in the chopped onions.
- Tip in the sliced celery
- Tip the lean diced pork into the slow cooker pan.
- Tip the baby carrots into the slow cooker pan
- Open the bottle of cider
- Pour 250ml of apple cider into the slow cooker pan.
- Pour the 150ml of hot chicken stock into the slow cooker pan
- Sprinkle the dried thyme into the slow cooker pan over the top of the pork and cider casserole ingredients.
- Season to your preference with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Mix the pork and cider casserole ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
- Bring the casserole to the boil on the hob then transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for around 8 hours.
- Once cooked through if the gravy needs thickening do this by adding 2 tsp of cornflour to a cup – mixing with a drop of water to form a paste and stirring through the casserole – cooking until the gravy thickens.
Make pork and cider casserole your way
We’ve given you a great basic pork & cider stew recipe, but you can mix things up if you like, try…
- If you want more vegetables or need the stew to stretch for feed more people then add a tin of butter beans or diced pepper.
- Fancy a bit of spice? Add a tsp of cinnamon, tsp of cumin and tsp of red chilli pepper flakes.
Browse all our meat recipes here
How to serve pork and cider casserole
- Great for busy weeknights when you just want to come home and eat dinner.
- To make mashed potato quicker just cut the potatoes into small chunks before boiling this reduces the cooking time by around 15 minutes.
More delicious pork recipes here
More slow cooker casserole recipes to make
Slow cooker dinners are just MADE for the autumn, warming, comforting family dinners you can spoon over over creamy mashed potatoes – so good!
Get loads more easy casserole recipes here!
I love just putting a handful of ingredients in the slow cooker the morning and knowing that dinner is taken care of. It just feels super organised and easy.
- Slow Cooker Rustic Chicken Casserole – a tasty chunky casserole that’s packed with flavoursome vegetables and herbs – great with crusty bread and a baked potato.
- Slow Cooker Smoky Pork and Beans – delicious smoky pork casserole, perfect served with plain boiled rice and a sprinkling of grated cheddar with a dollop of soured cream on the side.
- Slow Cooker Peri Peri Chicken Stew – a spicy little chicken stew that the kids just LOVE – I serve with potato wedges and homemade Nando’s style peas.
Get our BEST slow cooker recipes here
NEED SOME FAMILY MEAL IDEAS?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planner tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 500g lean pork
- 300g carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 250ml cider
- 150ml chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- Heat the slow cooker to low.
- Peel and dice the onion
- Scrub and half the carrots
- Slice the celery
- Add a splash of sunflower oil to the slow cooker pan to grease the pan
- Tip in the onions, celery, pork and carrots.
- Pour over the cider and chicken stock
- Season with dried thyme, salt and pepper
- Bring the casserole to the boil then transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for around 8 hours until cooked through properly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 35g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Save our delicious slow cooker pork and cider casserole on Pinterest for later!