Ahhh our slow cooker sausage and stout casserole is just perfect for a cold, wet and windy day. It’s super easy to put together, literally a few minutes work in the morning and then by dinner time it will be cooked to perfection and smelling amazing.
Just lightly brown the sausages, throw in a few roughly chopped shallots, a couple of handfuls of baby chantenay carrots, pour over the beef stock and stout and a teaspoon of honey and leave the slow cooker to do its thing.
You can serve your sausage and stout casserole with baked potato, chips or if your really want something quick and no fuss when you get home from work serve it with microwave rice, ready in just 2 minutes.
Delicious winter warmer.
- 8 plump good quality sausages
- 3 large shallots - peeled and roughly chopped
- 250g baby Chantenay carrots
- 200ml beef stock
- 150ml stout
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat the slow cooker to low (8 hours cooking time) or high (4 hours cooking time)
- Brown the sausages, tip in the shallots and baby carrots, pour over the beef stock and stout, season with salt and pepper and stir in a teaspoonful of honey.
- Bring to the boil and then place into the slow cooker and leave for either the low 8 hours or high 4 hours cooking time.
- If the casserole needs thickening do this by mixing a teaspoonful of cornflour into a paste with a little cold water and stir through the casserole.
Make it your way…
- Switch around the flavours by using different types of sausages, try spicy or leek and apple.
- Add a little heat with a pinch of chilli flakes.
- Make it a little bit more special with a sprinkling of gremolata (finely chopped parsley, lemon zest and garlic) sprinkle it on as you serve up.