Our Slow Cooker Shawarma Chicken is perfect for summer – super simple to make and oh so tasty with fresh salad, yogurt dressing and warm flatbreads. Easy weeknight dinner – sorted!
How to make slow cooker shawarma chicken
Our Slow Cooker Shawarma Chicken just couldn’t be easier! It takes just minutes to prep and throw in the slow cooker.
Simply wipe this inside of the slow cooker pan with a splash of olive oil then lay the chicken thighs snugly next to each other – drizzle over a little more olive oil and the juice of a lemon.
Sprinkle over the ground cumin, paprika, ground coriander, ground cinnamon, chilli flakes and season well with salt and black pepper. Cook on high for around 4 hours until the chicken is cooked through, heated to a minimum of 165F (check using meat thermometer – for food temperature guidelines grab the chart at Foodsafety.gov).
Once the chicken is cooked – shred the meat and then serve with salads and flatbreads.
Super tasty summery slow cooker chicken recipe
- 6 large skinless/boneless chicken thighs
- splash of olive oil
- juice of a lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tbs natural yogurt
- 1 tbs mayonnaise
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 flatbreads or pitta breads
- 2 Little Gem lettuces - shredded
- 1/2 cucumber sliced into half moons
- 1 red pepper - sliced
- 150g baby plum tomatoes sliced
- hot chilli sauce (optional)
- Heat the slow cooker too high.
- Lightly oil the inside of the slow cooker pan - place your chicken thighs into the pan.
- Drizzle over a little more olive oil.
- Pour over the juice of a lemon
- Sprinkle over the spices and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook on high for around 3 1/2 - 4 hours or until chicken is minimum 165F using meat thermometer
- Mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Once the chicken is cooked - shred and serve with salad and yogurt sauce with a drizzle of hot sauce if you like.
Make slow cooker shawarma chicken your way…
- Skip the spices and smother the chicken in curry paste for a more Indian flavour
- Go for smoky BBQ vibe and add smoked paprika and lime instead of lemon.
- Switch the yogurt dip for hummus.
How to serve shawarma chicken
- Our slow cooker shawarma chicken is delicious served on warmed flatbreads or pitta breads with salads and dip.
- Or shred the chicken and stir through rice.
- Load onto nachos and melt cheese over.
- Just turn into a big salad and skip the carbs.