A super easy ground turkey slow cooker recipe – our tasty turkey keema curry is a healthy weeknight dinner idea all the family will love.
Our slow cooker turkey keema is deliciously light and healthy. This easy slow cooker turkey recipe will quickly become a favourite.
Using ground turkey instead of the traditional lamb mince really lightens up this curry and gives it a fresh, healthy, lighter taste. This is one of our favourite turkey mince recipes.
If you’ve made keema curry with lamb mince, you’ll know it can be quite heavy and greasy.
Well switching to ground turkey really cuts back on the fat content without loosing too much of the flavour.
I use a slow cooker with removable pan so it’s super easy to start things off on the hob and then just pop it into the slow cooker to simmer along all day.
Slow Cooker Turkey Keema Ingredients
To make our turkey mince curry slow cooker recipe you will need…
- Splash of sunflower oil – you can use olive oil or rapeseed oil if you prefer.
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped, if you find it easier just grate the garlic using a box grater.
- 1 red chilli – finely sliced (de-seed the chilli if you want to reduce the heat a little)
- Thumb sized piece of ginger – peeled and finely grated on the fine side of a box grater.
- 1 onion – just a medium brown onion is fine for this recipe – simply finely chopped
- 500g turkey mince – you can use either ground turkey thigh meat or ground turkey breast – the breast meat tends to be lower fat, so just choose the one that you prefer.
- 2 dessert spoonfuls of mild curry powder – if you like your keema curry a little hotter then choose a hotter curry powder.
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes – try to choose a good quality tomato brand where you can, they tend to have more tomato pieces and less watery juice
- 4 handfuls of spinach – roughly chopped, I use baby spinach for this recipe, I just think it’s less tough.
- 2 handfuls of frozen peas
- salt and black pepper
If you prefer your curry hot and spicy then choose a hotter curry powder and really spice things up.
Instructions For Making Slow Cooker Turkey Keema
- Chop the onions and chop the chillies. Peel the ginger and garlic and grate on the fine side of the grater.
- Add a splash of sunflower oil to the pan, throw in the chopped onions, garlic, ginger and chillies and briskly stir fry for a couple of minutes to soften slightly.
- Add the turkey mince and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Tip in a tin of chopped tomatoes, the curry powder and season with salt and black pepper. Bring the curry to the boil then transfer to the slow cooker.
- I cook this on low for around 7-8 hours because I just leave it simmering whilst I get on with my day.
- Once the turkey keema is cooked through it should look lovely and dark and smell deliciously aromatic and spicy.
- I remove the turkey keema from the slow cooker and finish it off on the hob whilst I cook the rice.
- Add in the frozen peas
- Stir the peas into the keema curry.
- Then stir in the chopped spinach.
- I simmer this on the hob for around 10 minutes so the frozen peas cook through and spinach wilts.
Love curry? Try one of our easy curry recipes here
Make Our Healthy Turkey Mince Curry Your Way…
- Go Thai with the flavours and use thai curry paste, maybe add a little coconut milk too.
- Add some extra heat and use a hot curry powder and extra chillies, you could also serve sprinkled with fresh chilli slices.
- Add extra veggies and stir through a tin of chick peas, mushrooms or lentils.
What To Serve With Turkey Keema
This turkey keema is delicious served with plain boiled rice, scatter the curry with chopped coriander, finely chopped chillies or spring onions and a wedge of lime.
We also love this curry with a side of Thai crackers and sweet chilli dipping sauce.
For a different meal twist try using the turkey keema to….
- fill burritos – just add some fresh salad
- top nachos – just add chillies and coriander
- use the keema mince to make little pasties or filo parcels
Get our BEST slow cooker recipes here
More Healthy Ground Turkey Recipes To Make
- Turkey mince chilli – delicious low fat mild turkey chilli – I use this to top oven baked potatoes and the kids love it! It’s super popular on school nights when the kids come home starving!
- Delicious turkey burgers with ground turkey – mmm these are just delicious – so simple to make and work really well stuffed into brioche rolls with halloumi, pineapple and chilli jam. Yum!
- Healthy turkey bolognese recipe – add a lighter twist to your regular bolognese and use turkey mince instead of beef, it’s a delicious and super easy bolognese recipe.
Get all our delicious healthy turkey mince recipes here
Need Some Family Meal Ideas?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planner tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 red chilli finely sliced
- Thumb sized piece of ginger - peeled and grated
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 500g turkey mince
- 2 dessert spoons of mild curry powder
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 150g spinach - roughly chopped
- 200g frozen peas
- salt and black pepper
- Add a splash of sunflower oil to the slow cooker pan and gently fry the garlic, ginger, chillies and onions.
- Add turkey mince and fry for a couple of minutes
- Add curry powder, tinned tomatoes and salt and black pepper
- Bring the curry to the boil, transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for around 7-8 hours.
- Once the curry is cooked, transfer back to the hob, add the frozen peas and spinach, bring the curry back to the boil and simmer for around 10 minutes to cook the peas and wilt the spinach.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 817mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 46g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only.
Save our delicious slow cooker turkey keema recipe to Pinterest for later!
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here