Spaghetti alla marinara is one of the easiest Italian pasta recipes to cook. It makes a very tasty midweek family meal or you could turn it into something a little more special by adding more ingredients like seafood or chicken.
To make the simple marinara sauce you just need a handful of ingredients, most of which are ingredients you probably keep in at home anyway, so marinara sauce is a good stand by dinner.
To cook up your own spaghetti feast, just add a good splash of olive oil to a large pan, throw in some chopped garlic and onion and sauté for 5-10 minutes. I like to add finely chopped basil stalks too, it just gives the sauce a lovely fragrant taste.
Once the garlic and onions have softened slightly, tip in two cans of chopped tomato, for this sauce buying good quality Italian chopped tomatoes like the Cirio or Napolina brand will make a difference to the overall taste, quality and sweetness of the sauce.
Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper and let the sauce simmer for around 20 – 30 minutes with the lid off. Throw in a handful of chopped basil in the last couple of minutes. To serve tip cooked spaghetti into the sauce and toss with forks to coat everything evenly.
Deliciously easy, healthy family spaghetti recipe
- olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- Handful of basil stalks finely chopped
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- Handful of torn basil leaves
- 250g spaghetti
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large pan and throw in the chopped garlic, onions and basil stalks sauté for around 10 minutes until softened.
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and stir well. Allow the sauce to simmer with the lid off for around 30 minutes.
- Throw in a handful of chopped basil leaves for the last few minutes of cooking.
- To seve toss the sauce through the cooked spaghetti and scatter over parmesan shavings.
If you want to make your Spaghetti alla Marinara a little bit more special…
- add some shrimp
- throw in some capers and olives
- add some chicken
- add squid
Remember to love your leftovers too, this recipe tastes amazing warmed back up again the next day.