Spaghetti alla marinara is one of the easiest Italian pasta recipes to cook. Just a few simple ingredients go into this quick and tasty meal.
Our Spaghetti alla Marinara is one of the easiest Italian pasta recipes to cook.
It makes a really quick and tasty weeknight family dinner or you could turn it into something a little more special by adding more ingredients like seafood or chicken.
To make the simple marinara sauce you just need a handful of ingredients, most of which are ingredients you probably keep in at home anyway, so marinara sauce is a good stand by dinner.
Ingredients for Marinara Pasta Sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 1 large onion – finely chopped
- Handful of basil stalks – finely chopped
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- Handful of torn basil leaves
- 250g spaghetti – to serve
How to make marinara pasta sauce
To cook up your own spaghetti alla marinara feast, just add a good splash of olive oil to a large pan, throw in some chopped garlic and onion and sauté for 5-10 minutes.
I like to add finely chopped basil stalks too, it just gives the sauce a lovely fragrant taste.
Once the garlic and onions have softened slightly, tip in two cans of chopped tomato.
For this sauce buying good quality Italian chopped tomatoes like the Cirio or Napolina brand will make a difference to the overall taste, quality and sweetness of the sauce.
Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper and let the sauce simmer for around 20 – 30 minutes with the lid off.
Throw in a handful of chopped basil in the last couple of minutes.
To serve tip cooked spaghetti into the sauce and toss with forks to coat everything evenly.
If you want to make your Spaghetti alla Marinara a little bit more special…
- add some shrimp
- throw in some capers and olives
- add some chicken
- add squid
More easy pasta recipes to cook for family dinner
- Canned Tuna Pasta – cook up a super easy weeknight pasta dish with our delicious tuna bolognese recipe with olives, capers and chilli. Totally yummy!
- Spicy Sausage Pasta – turn a pack of sausages into tasty sausage meatballs and cook in a delicious tomato and pepper sauce, perfect served with penne and a scattering of cheese.
- Easy Pasta Pesto – give yourself an easy cooking night with our simple pasta pesto recipe.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- bunch of basil - stalks chopped and leaves torn
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 250g spaghetti
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large pan and throw in the chopped garlic, onions and basil stalks sauté for around 10 minutes until softened.
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and stir well. Allow the sauce to simmer with the lid off for around 30 minutes.
- Throw in a handful of chopped basil leaves for the last few minutes of cooking.
- To serve toss the sauce through the cooked spaghetti and scatter over parmesan shavings. (use vegetarian cheese if cooking strictly vegetarain)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our super easy spaghetti alla marinara to Pinterest for later!