I love spaghetti with pesto, potatoes and green beans. It’s a really quick meal idea great for midweek cooking. It all cooks in the one pan for less mess and if you wanted even less fuss just use shop bought pesto rather than making your own. Simple. The spaghetti, potatoes and green beans all cook together and so the meal is ready in around 10 minutes.
This is an easy family recipe. Simply bring to the boil a large pan of salted water with a dash of olive oil, add the spaghetti and let it soften into the hot water – give it a twirl around the pan with a fork to help separate the spaghetti strands. Once the spaghetti is all under the water tip in the chopped new potatoes, and frozen or fresh green beans. Bring the pan back to the boil and then cook with the lid on for around 10 minutes until everything is tender.
All that’s left to do now is to drain the spaghetti – I just pour the whole lot into a large colander. Then return to the pan and tip in the pesto and lightly toss to coat everything in the lovely silky basil dressing.
I like to serve this with a simple tomato salad – just sliced tomatoes drizzled in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and scattered with freshly torn basil and sea salt and black pepper. Lovely.
If you want to make your own pesto I use this quick nut free pesto recipe.
A really quick midweek family dinner - a one pan recipe.
- 300g spaghetti
- 400g new potatoes - peeled and chopped into bitesize cubes
- 2 large handfuls of frozen green beans
- 1 portion of pesto - either homemade or shop bought (around 4-5 tbs)
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil - add a swirl of olive oil
- Put in the spaghetti and also to soften into the water and then push it under with a slotted spoon.
- Add the potatoes and green beans and bring the pan back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook with the lid on for 10-11 minutes.
- Once cooked drain into a large colander then return to the pan and combine with the pesto.
To serve - divide between dishes and serve with a salad.