One of my favourite vegetarian spaghetti recipes. An utterly delicious way to serve beautiful seasonal cavolo nero. This is a real family meal, one to take to the table and share together.
Make it your way:
- If you are keeping this recipe vegetarian – be sure to grab yourself some vegetarian Italian hard cheese – skip the parmesan
- Speed things up and use chopped tomatoes with garlic & herbs already added.
- Use kale or spinach instead of cavolo nero
- Make it into a pasta bake – dot the top with cubes of mozzarella, large handfuls of grated parmesan and brown under the grill.
- 250g spaghetti
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic finely sliced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- small head of cavolo nero or kale - finely shredded - tough stalks removed.
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan to serve
- First start the tomato sauce - add a splash of olive oil to a saucepan, gently fry the chopped garlic and onions for 5 minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes, oregano and season with salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid off.
- Once the sauce is underway get the spaghetti cooking - bring to the boil a large pan of salted water, add a splash of olive oil and toss in the spaghetti. Stir with a fork as the spaghetti softens to ensure it all goes under the water - bring the pan back to the boil then reduce the heat and cook for around 10 minutes - stir every few minutes to prevent it from sticking together.
- Once the spaghetti is underway start the cavolo nero - add a splash of olive oil to a large frying pan or wok - toss in the sliced garlic and cavolo nero and stir fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Once the spaghetti is cooked drain it and stir the tomato sauce through it - make sure all the strands are nicely coated with sauce.
- Then stir through the garlicky cavolo nero and tip the whole lot onto a large serving platter. Scatter with grated parmesan and tuck in.
Delicious served reheated next day too.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.