Just the best spicy coleslaw EVER! This easy BBQ side dish is bursting with flavour and super simple to throw together
How to make homemade coleslaw
Homemade coleslaw is just so easy to make – you can either use a food processor to shred the vegetables or get busy with a knife – either way is easy.
Pick out your veggies – good fruit and vegetables to put in homemade coleslaw are…
- red cabbage
- white cabbage
- jalapeños add a spicy kick
Simply shred your veggies then make a dressing – the easiest option is to go with mayonnaise seasoned with your favourite spices, you could opt for a healthier version and use natural yogurt.
A spicy little homemade coleslaw
- 1/2 small red cabbage - thinly sliced
- onion - thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots - cut into matchsticks
- 2 tbs of jalapeños (I use the jarred Old El Paso jalapeños for this recipe) - finely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- Toss the sliced vegetables into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, chopped jalapeños and smoked paprika - mix well.
- Tip the dressing into the vegetables and toss everything together with your hands to coat it.
Try serving with a big mexican chilli or grilled chicken
What can I serve spicy coleslaw with?
Spicy coleslaw makes a delicious spicy side dish – ideal for serving with BBQ food, Mexican food, burgers or chicken. I love to make this with red cabbage just because it looks so much nicer. It goes great with our taco dogs!
More BBQ Side Dishes