This is really quick spicy Mexican rice with prawns, the sort of dinner that’s ready in just minutes, yes it uses cheats but they work well together and taste good. You can make this recipe using store-cupboard and frozen food so it’s super convenient.
To mix up a panful of this spicy rice and prawns I use one of my favourite cooking cheats – Tilda microwave rice and grab a bag of frozen prawns and frozen peas and corn. I stir chopped spinach through the rice at the last minute, just before serving. The hit of Mexican spice comes from a good glug of Wahaca sauce which is deliciously hot and spicy.
So our spicy Mexican rice and prawns is going to be ready really quickly, all that’s left to decide is whether or not you fancy scooping it up with nachos….
Really quick spicy rice and prawns
- 1 tbs chilli infused olive oil
- 2 sachets of tomato flavoured microwave rice
- 350g prawns
- 250g frozen peas and corn mix
- 2 handfuls of chopped fresh spinach (or defrost a couple of blocks of frozen chopped spinach)
- Spicy Mexican sauce to taste
- Add the olive oil to a wok style pan, tip in the defrosted prawns and cook until heated through.
- Microwave the rice and tip it into the pan.
- Microwave the peas and corn and mix them into the rice and prawn mix.
- Add the spinach, it will just wilt in the heat from the rice.
- Add spicy Mexican sauce to taste and mix well.
Make spicy Mexican rice with prawns your way
- add in some sliced smoked sausage.
- add in sliced spring onions
- top with soured cream and guacamole
How to serve spicy Mexican rice
- quick midweek meal when you want food to be ready fast.
- TV snack with nachos