Super tasty Spicy Sausage Pasta with roasted peppers and tomatoes – a quick, flavourful dinner idea that’s easy to make for weeknight dinner.
We just love this spicy sausage pasta – it’s a great weeknight dinner, easy to prep, easy to cook and so delicious. It makes a lovely, filling weeknight family dinner.
Spicy Sausage Pasta Recipe
Spicy sausage pasta recipe is really simple – just skin the sausages, chop the sausage meat into bitesize pieces and fry in a large skillet style pan – once cooked through – remove from the pan and place to one side on a plate
Tip the garlic, tomatoes and roasted peppers (see below) and ground fennel into the pan and cook for around 5 minutes until everything is softened – then add in the sausage pieces and warm through whilst you cook the pasta.
How to roast peppers
Okay – you can choose with this recipe – either roast your own peppers, which is super easy but does take around 45 mins – but you can do them the night before and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to use them.
So to roast the peppers – heat up the oven to 200C and put 3 whole peppers into a roasting tin in the oven – roast until the skins are charring, this should take around 30 – 45 minutes.
Once cooked – leave them to cool and then slice them in half – scoop out the seeds and then scrape off the skin – chop into bitesize pieces.
Or if roasting peppers isn’t for you – just grab yourself a jar of chargrilled peppers from the shop and use them instead.
How to make spicy sausage pasta
Spicy Sausage Pasta
- 6 Plump spicy sausages We used ASDA Extra Special Pork & Three Chilli Sausages
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds lightly toasted and ground in pestle and mortar
- 500 g Baby plum tomatoes roughly chopped
- 3 Roasted peppers deseeded, skins removed & chopped into bitesize pieces
- 1 Small bunch flat leaf parsley chopped
- 500 g Fresh egg penne
- Remove the sausage meat from the skins – just slit the sausae with a sharp knife and flip out the meat – then chop each sauage into bitesize pieces.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet pan and fry the sausages for around 15-20 minutes or until cooked through properly. Then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Tip the garlic, tomatoes, roast peppers and fennel into the pan and gently fry for around 5 minutes until everything is becoming squashy. Tip the sausage pieces back in and warm through whilst you cook the pasta.
- I use fresh pasta for this because it cooks in just 4 minutes in salted boiling water.
- Drain the pasta – tip into the sausage and pepper sauce and stir everything together to coat all the pasta. Divide into bowls and eat immediately.
Good things to serve with pasta
Our spicy sausage pasta is great just on it’s own, but… if you like a few side dishes or you’re feeding a crowd or the kids are extra hungry – then try…
- garlic baguette slices
- green beans and broccoli
- green salad with crunchy croutons
- bean salad
- fresh homemade coleslaw (ad feature recipe)
More sausage recipes for dinner
If the family just love sausages then you might like to try…
- Sausage stew – family favourite stew, super easy, serve with creamy mashed potato and green veggies.
- Sausage and cider casserole with colcannon – great for an alternative Sunday lunch, rich warming casserole served with homemade colcannon potatoes.
- Posh sausage rolls – these are super tasty, delicious sausage, cheese and chutney rolls, perfect for autumn dinner with mash and beans.
- Sausage and Rice with Roasted Vegetables – a delicious one tray dinner that’s perfect for midweek cooking.
Get our 10 easy healthy dinner recipes for kids here!