Our squash and pancetta gnocchi is quick, easy and so tasty. Fab for busy work nights and packed with lovely autumnal flavours. Gnocchi goes so well with herby roast veggies, it soaks up the flavoured oil from the roasting tin – perfect comfort food.
Quick and tasty comfort food.
- 1/2 butternut squash - chopped into bitesize pieces
- 1 red onion - chopped into wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic - peel on
- 1-2tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp dried Italian mixed herbs
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 400g fresh gnocchi
- 100g cubed pancetta
- Heat the oven to 200C - toss the butternut squash, garlic and onion in the olive oil and scatter over the Italian herbs and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast in the oven for around 20 minutes.
- When the veggies are almost cooked, cook the gnocchi according to the packet instructions (usually just takes 2 minutes in boiling water) and fry off the pancetta cubes until they're crispy.
- Once the roast veggies are cooked remove them from the oven - squash the garlic from the skins and stir it gently into the veggies - tip in the drained gnocchi and stir gently to soak up the herby oil.
- Divide between the plates and scatter with crispy pancetta.
Make squash and pancetta gnocchi your way
- Switch the squash for sweet potato, pumpkin or try courgettes and peppers.
- Cheat and buy a tray of ready prepared ready to roast veggies.
- Switch the pancetta for bacon or chorizo.
- Skip the pancetta and go for a vegetarian option – maybe add a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts.
How to serve squash and pancetta gnocchi
- Perfect for an easy low fuss midweek dinner.
- Make a special meal of it – add bruschetta starter and a rocket salad and salted caramel ice-cream sundaes.