Delicious winter warmer that’s great for feeding a family. We cook the rich steak and Guinness pie filling in the slow cooker then top with flaky buttery pastry and finish in the oven. Couldn’t be easier.
Heat the slow cooker to low. Add a splash of olive oil to the pan and gently brown the stewing steak, tip in the chopped onions, carrots and celery, pour over the beef stock and Guinness. Bring gently to the boil then transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hours until the steak is falling apart.
Thicken the pie filling if necessary then tip into a pie dish and top with a sheet of puff pastry. Bake in the oven for around 20 – 30 minutes until the top is lovely and brown. Serve with chunky oven chips and seasonal vegetables.
Delicious slow cooker steak & guinness pie.
- 450g stewing steak
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 4 carrots scrubbed and sliced
- 2 sticks of celery - sliced
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 200ml beef stock
- 150ml Guinness
- Olive oil
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat the slow cooker to low.
- Add a splash of olive oil to the pan and quickly brown the stewing steak, tip in the onions, carrots and celery and sauté for a few minutes.
- Pour over the hot beef stock, Guinness and stir in the tomato puree, season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the pan to the boil then transfer to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once stew is cooked, thicken if necessary using cornflour. Then transfer to pie dish and top with sheet of puff pastry brushed with egg wash.
- Cook in the oven on 200C for 20 - 30 minutes until the pastry is cooked through.
- To thicken the pie filling just mix a heaped tsp of cornflour into a drop of cold water to form a paste. Stir this through the pie filling and cook for a few minutes whilst it thickens.
Make it your way…
- No slow cooker – no worries, just cook the stew in the oven on 180C for around 2-3 hours. Keep a check on the stock though, you may need to add more when cooking in the oven.
- Want more veggies – load that stew with parsnips and swede