Since getting my new Dualit toaster complete with toasted sandwich cage lunch time lately has seen more than it’s fair share of toasted sandwiches. Such a quick meal idea and so easy to make. Toasted cheese sandwiches are great for using up leftovers you can pretty much tuck anything you fancy into one.
Today’s toasted sandwich was made using some leftover Wookey Hole Cave Aged Farmhouse Cheddar Cheese with thinly sliced courgette. And quite frankly delicious. The Wookey Hole Cheddar cheese is really tangy a good strong earthy flavour and it goes so well with the courgette a perfect match.
To make the sandwich you need some good fresh bread, for toasted sandwiches I like fresh fluffy white bread with all the crusts cut off. Butter it lightly on one side – the buttered side goes down against the sandwich cage. Next layer up some cheese, add the thinly sliced courgettes, squash the other pieces of bread on top and squeeze tightly into the sandwich cage. Place in the toaster for around 3 minutes – I do like mine to be a bit charred.
Toasted cheese sandwiches are always nice served with a small pot of marinated olives and followed with some fresh fruit – apples and plums work well for me.
Super quick lunch for one.
- 2 slices of bread buttered on one side only
- 6-8 thin slices of strong Cheddar cheese
- 6 thin slices of courgette
- Place one piece of bread buttered side down into the sandwich cage.
- Top with cheese and courgette.
- Place the other piece of bread on top butter side up so it's the buttery side against the sandwich cage.
- Squeeze the cage together and toast for 2-3 minutes.
Lovely served with olives and fruit.
I’m working on some fruity little toasted breakfast sandwiches at the moment so standby for deliciousness!