A delicious rustic French style pissaladiere. We make our pissaladiere using thinly rolled pizza dough topped with garlicky onions softened in butter and finished with anchovy fillets and black olives.
You can make pissaladiere using either a puff pastry or bread base, both are equally delicious.
- for the bread base
- 1/2 tsp fast action yeast
- 300g strong white flour
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 170ml tepid water
- for the topping
- large knob of butter
- 3 large onions - thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme or small bunch of fresh thyme - leaves picked
- 200g anchovy fillets (I use boneless fillets marinated in garlic, lemon and olive oil)
- handful of black olives
- olive oil
- For the bread base - bread maker method Place the ingredients into the bread maker - yeast, flour, olive oil, salt and water. Set to pizza dough setting and wait. For the bread base - hand made method Put the yeast, bread flour, salt and olive oil into a bowl, slowly add the water whilst mixing to a pliable dough with your hands. Tip out onto floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes. Put back into the bowl - cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
- Whilst bread is rising add the butter to a large frying pan and gently fry the onions, garlic and thyme for around 20 minutes over a low heat until lovely and soft. Remove from the heat and leave to one side until ready to use.
- Heat the oven to 200C
- To put together the pissaladiere - roll out the bread dough to a rough rectangle shape around 40 cm x 25cm and place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Tip the garlicky onions onto the bread base and spread out leaving around 2cm clear bread dough all the way around the outside.
- Add the anchovy fillets in a criss cross diamond pattern and place a black olive in the middle of each diamond.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for around 15 - 20 minutes until the bread is cooked.
Pissaladiere is delicious served with a simply dressed rocket salad or tomato salad.
make it your way…
- Use a ready rolled puff pastry sheet instead of pizza dough for the base.
- Go veggie and miss off the anchovies.
- Delicious served cold for lunch or picnics